Migrate TFS 2008 to TFS 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I am running  TFS 2008 server and I want to migrate it to a new Server that will run TFS 2012.

I installed TFS 2012 on the new server (Split it to 2 machines ,SQL server and TFS application server) ,

now , I want to move all the data (Source control items, Work items etc , build definitions etc ) to the new TFS 2012.

What is the right procedure to do it ?

Thx,

CM Consultant

Sunday, December 16, 2012 11:24 AM

Answers

• Hi Demix,

Thanks for your feedback!

Yes, you can use the TFSConfig Import command to import the data and projects from Visual Studio 2005 Team Foundation Server or Visual Studio Team System 2008 Team Foundation Server into a new team project collection. To use this command, the databases that you import must be hosted on a server that is running SQL Server 2008, and their names must not include the TFS_ prefix. If your databases are hosted on a server that is running SQL Server 2005, you must first upgrade them to a supported version of SQL Server before you can use the Import command.

For more information, please refer to http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff407080.aspx

Hope it helps!

Best Regards,

Cathy Kong
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 6:48 AM

All replies

• Hi Demix,

Thanks for your post!

You can use http://tfsintegration.codeplex.com/ to move data from TFS 2008 to TFS 2012.

Hope it helps!

Best Regards,

Cathy Kong
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, December 17, 2012 9:09 AM
  • Hi

What about using the TFSConfig Import ?

Can I use this command to migrate the data ?

CM Consultant

Monday, December 17, 2012 11:57 AM
  • Hi Demix,

Thanks for your feedback!

Yes, you can use the TFSConfig Import command to import the data and projects from Visual Studio 2005 Team Foundation Server or Visual Studio Team System 2008 Team Foundation Server into a new team project collection. To use this command, the databases that you import must be hosted on a server that is running SQL Server 2008, and their names must not include the TFS_ prefix. If your databases are hosted on a server that is running SQL Server 2005, you must first upgrade them to a supported version of SQL Server before you can use the Import command.

For more information, please refer to http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff407080.aspx

Hope it helps!

Best Regards,

Cathy Kong

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 6:48 AM
  • I have installed TFS integration tool and tried. It is only giving option to migrate data between TFS 11,TFS 2008 and TFS 2010.

Do you think, I am missing something.

I am trying to migrate code from TFS 2008 to TFS 2012.

Thanks

Friday, January 25, 2013 5:54 PM
  • Hi Demix,

I on the same shoe have to migrate from tfs 2010 to tfs2012

Can you please share the walkthrough , views regarding this tasks, links you followed

and Please can you let me know how long it takes(Time estimation) to you to complete this Task,

I Shall be Very very thank full to you 

Thanks in Advance! :)

Regards

Divya

Thursday, April 18, 2013 5:58 AM
  • I'm having a similar problem. Attempting migration from TFS2008 to TFS2012. D/l'd the TFS Integration tools(March2012) here: http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/eb77e739-c98c-4e36-9ead-fa115b27fefe .

This only seems to have handlers for 2010 and 2011, and see nothing for 2008 or 2012? Is a direct migration from 2008 to 2012 even possible? I've read every pieceof white paper, guidance docs, documentation, blogs, everything on http://tfsintegration.codeplex.com/ which is nearly next to useless contextually, and whenever I DO find reading on the topic that seems hopefully helpful, the piece usually ends with, "for more information on this process, please contact your administrator." I AM the administrator!

I have an existing tfs2008. I have built new tfs2012 server w/ external SQL Server 2012, all on the same domain). When using the TFS Integration Tools, I only see available the Providers for VC2010 and VC11. Even if I try to hard code the 2008 Provider(which I found info on online elsewhere) into the config xml, it gets reverted to the 2010 Provder on Export/Save.

Below is the 2008 providers info I found on Peter Willy's blog, but I can't seem to get them to "stick", not to mention still seemingly short the 2012 VC and WIT Providers

/Provider ReferenceName="663A8B36-7852-4750-87FC-D189B0640FC1" FriendlyName="TFS 2008 WIT Migration Provider" /
        /Provider ReferenceName="2F82C6C4-BBEE-42FB-B3D0-4799CABCF00E" FriendlyName="TFS 2008 VC  Migration Provider" /

Thanks for any assistance provided.

devRyan

Note: think I may have found the answer on Peter Willy's blog @ http://blogs.msdn.com/b/willy-peter_schaub/archive/2011/02/20/tfs-integration-tools-why-can-i-only-see-tfs2010-adapters-q-amp-a-48.aspx . I don't currently have VS2008TFS on my server, loading it now, will report back. Still not sure about 2012 though, is VC11 the same as TFS2012?

• Edited by devryan1 Tuesday, April 23, 2013 7:22 PM
    Tuesday, April 23, 2013 6:58 PM
  • Hi Devryan1,

:) nYc Story

I have done with migration , but the only difference i have to migrate from tfs2010 to tfs2012

I have followed these steps : Move Team Foundation Server from One Hardware Configuration to Another

Only the change i have made is i have to up gradation when i taken the db backups and restore on the new server, after that while installing tfs i upgrade the db.

Feel free to ask questions..

Regards

Divya

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 5:31 AM