VHD Deletion Issues (not the lease problem) RRS feed

• Question

• I have 3 VHDs in my account which appear to be in limbo. I can neither delete them from my "disks" tab, nor attach them to new VMs. 

Two of these disks I'd like to mount to a new VM, and one I'd like to delete. What are my options?

Thursday, February 14, 2013 6:38 PM

Answers

• Jamison,

there was a bug in the platform that cause some disks to remain attached to VMs that were already deleted. We have already solved this issue and you should not experience this issue in the future.

The fix will not address the disks already affected by the problem, we will have to manually correct the issue on our end here at Microsoft.

Please send an e-mail to IaaSForum@microsoft.com with the details below

Att: Flavio Muratore
    Subscription ID:
    Your full name:
    Phone number:
    e-mail address:
    Full Path for the affected Disks
    Name of the affected Disks
    Name of the deleted VMs
    You can send a screenshot of the Disks tab in the portal indicating the affected disk if you prefer.

When I receive the information above I will acknowledge it to you on a reply, then we will correct the problem and you should be able to delete the disks.

I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you.

Flavio Muratore Sr. Support Escalation Engineer Windows Azure Technical Support

Sunday, February 17, 2013 9:40 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Thank you for posting your question here.

For the disks you'd like to attach to a new VM, it should be visible to you when you choose to create a new gallery VM. Select the disks option on the first page of the wizard.

The for the one you'd like to delete:

When you hover over the "Delete" icon are you then choosing to "Delete" or "Retain" the associated VHD?

What happens when you try the other option?

What error do you get in each case? Are "details" available in the error? Please copy and paste here.

Is there a operation or tracking ID?

Regards,

-Steve

Friday, February 15, 2013 5:02 PM
  • Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply.

Here's the crux of the issue. The disks show they are attached to VMs that no longer exist. So... they can't be deleted (using the delete icon), and they can't be added to a new gallery VM because they don't show up as available drives (when I click on My Disks in the new gallery VM wizard). 

In other words... they are effectively orphaned in my account. If a VM is deleted before detaching any associated disks, does it strand those disks forever?

To answer your question above, no there's not an operation/tracking ID. I just have no option to do anything with the disks in question.

Jamison

Friday, February 15, 2013 6:43 PM
  • Hi Jamison,

I see now. I'm moving your post to the Windows Azure Virtual Machines for Windows forum and I'll ask the moderators there to take a look at your issue.

Regards,

-Steve

Saturday, February 16, 2013 1:10 AM
  • FYI, the VMs are all Linux based. You may want to move this to the WAVM for Linux forum.

Thanks,

Jamison

Saturday, February 16, 2013 3:26 AM
  • Jamison,

there was a bug in the platform that cause some disks to remain attached to VMs that were already deleted. We have already solved this issue and you should not experience this issue in the future.

The fix will not address the disks already affected by the problem, we will have to manually correct the issue on our end here at Microsoft.

Please send an e-mail to IaaSForum@microsoft.com with the details below

Att: Flavio Muratore
    Subscription ID:
    Your full name:
    Phone number:
    e-mail address:
    Full Path for the affected Disks
    Name of the affected Disks
    Name of the deleted VMs
    You can send a screenshot of the Disks tab in the portal indicating the affected disk if you prefer.

When I receive the information above I will acknowledge it to you on a reply, then we will correct the problem and you should be able to delete the disks.

I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you.

Sunday, February 17, 2013 9:40 PM
  • Hi Flavio,

It appears the bug has already been resolved in my account, as I am now able to remove the Disks. Thank you for the explanation.

Jamison

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 4:41 PM
  • Hi Flavio

We are experiencing exactly the same issue - we have 2 affected disks that are part of our production environment.  We have mailed the details above to you and are waiting for a response, but as it's affecting our live server we need a speedy resolution.

Anything you can do to help?

Thanks

Leon

Friday, March 8, 2013 10:14 AM
  • Leon,
    I believe I received your e-mail and the contact for the case was Simon. I have repliued and we will work directly with each other from now on.

Sunday, March 10, 2013 9:09 PM
  • Hello Flavio,

I am experiencing the same issue on one of my disks. I have already sent the necessary information via email.

Thanks in advance,

Jeremy

Friday, March 15, 2013 5:08 PM