none
Keep having to re-enter filename in Flat File Connection Manager RRS feed

• Question

• I have a bunch of SSIS packages that import text files into SQL Server.  Each time I open these packages and edit the connection manager for the text file, I am forced to re-enter the filename for the text file in the Flat File Connection Manager Editor as it is blank.  All the metadata is still there, just the filename is missing.  It's also a pain as if I am unable to Edit the Flat File Source until I have reentered the filename in the Connection.

Anybody seen/solved this?  Must be something pretty basic.

Ritchie
    Thursday, August 21, 2008 3:25 AM

Answers

• Is this name set via an expression or package configuration on the connection string? If so, either could be responsible for blanking this value.  That would be the first place I would look anyway...
    Thursday, August 21, 2008 1:19 PM

All replies

• Is this name set via an expression or package configuration on the connection string? If so, either could be responsible for blanking this value.  That would be the first place I would look anyway...
    Thursday, August 21, 2008 1:19 PM
  • Thanks Eric,

The name is indeed set by an expression at runtime as it is part of a ForEach container so I suppose that would account for it.  Nevertheless I still need to point the text file Connection Manager at an actual file during development so I have a folder of files with the correct format for this purpose.  I was hoping to have it both ways..

thanks
    Thursday, August 21, 2008 10:45 PM
  • If that is the case, you can put in your default values on the controlling items so that you get the "real" file location during development.  As is, and as you have now figured out, you have the blank filename because there is a blank being built up on your expression....
    Friday, August 22, 2008 2:32 AM