Plugging global content sanitizer RRS feed

• Question

• User525224122 posted

For security reasons, I need to process body of each post request before it reaching destination hub.

I assumed that the right approach is to implement custom OwinMiddleware and inside process body content.

However, for some reason context.Request.Body length is always 0 (despite that message payload is actually reaching Hub).

What do I miss?

This is how my Middleware class looks like:

public class SanitizeMiddleware : OwinMiddleware
    {
     public SanitizeMiddleware(OwinMiddleware next)
      :base(next)
       {
       }

public async override Task Invoke(IOwinContext context)
     {
      //context.Request.Body length is 0...

await Next.Invoke(context);
     }
    }

Tuesday, October 16, 2018 10:38 AM

All replies

• User525224122 posted

Update: it looks like first three calls are intercepted by my middleware: 'negotiate', 'connect' and 'start'. They are GET so obviously there is no body.

However, right after connection is established I sending from client to server a string (e.g. POST). 

For some reason, that call doesn't intercepted by middleware at all, but I do receive request inside my hub.

Any ideas?

Tuesday, October 16, 2018 1:42 PM
  • User61956409 posted

Hi illidian,

Are you using ASP.NET SignalR or ASP.NET Core SignalR? If possible, please share the code of Startup.cs file.

With Regards,

Fei Han

Wednesday, October 17, 2018 8:39 AM
  • User525224122 posted

Hi,

I'm using ASP.NET SignalR.

My Startup.cs looks like the below:

app.Map("/signalr", map =>
    {
       map.HereSupposedToBeMyCustomMiddleware();

var hubConfiguration = new HubConfiguration
       {
           Resolver = GlobalHost.DependencyResolver,
       };

map.RunSignalR(hubConfiguration);
    });

Wednesday, October 17, 2018 11:22 AM
  • User61956409 posted

Hi illidian,

illidian

it looks like first three calls are intercepted by my middleware: 'negotiate', 'connect' and 'start'. They are GET so obviously there is no body.

Yes, as you mentioned, the 'negotiate', 'connect' and 'start' etc is http request when a client establishes a connection to your hub server, so you can capture these requests in your custom Middleware.

If both your client and server supports WebSocket, after client established a connection to hub server, messages exchanged/communicated between client and hub sever will be via WebSocket Protocol. 

illidian

However, right after connection is established I sending from client to server a string (e.g. POST). 

For some reason, that call doesn't intercepted by middleware at all, but I do receive request inside my hub.

I do a test by explicitly specifying the transport method to Long polling, I can capture the request of sending message, and the request body is not null.

public override async Task Invoke(IOwinContext context)
    {

string body = new StreamReader(context.Request.Body).ReadToEnd();

byte[] requestData = Encoding.UTF8.GetBytes(body);
        context.Request.Body = new MemoryStream(requestData);

await Next.Invoke(context);
    }

If I send a message "hello", I can capture this request in my custom Middleware:

Decode the body, it is same as the data that I see in browser client:

data={"H":"chathub","M":"Send","A":["Fei Han","hello"],"I":0}

With Regards,

Fei Han

Friday, October 19, 2018 2:35 AM