none
MSDN Premium subscription - Office applications in 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• I recently noticed that the subscriber benefits page has been updated with details for Office 2013. According to the comparison page and whitepaper, "Office 2013 Professional Plus" is licensed for production use. The subscription in 2012 included production use of Visio and Project on one machine.

• Could someone confirm that Project and Visio have been removed from the subscriber benefits as of the last update?
    • If so, can I continue using the 2010 products for production uses, per the terms of renewal for 2012?

Thanks,

- Zak

P.S. Should it be true, the loss of the Visio SKU from the product is a troublesome development. My VS license is primarily for personal use. The primary justification of the cost came from not needing to pay hundreds of additional dollars for office products. While access to the testing tools are great, it doesn't make up for the loss of the other products.

Monday, February 4, 2013 4:38 PM

Answers

• Hey Zak,

This is covered on the very last page of the Licensing whitepaper in the changelog section:

• Modification of production use rights for Office: Office Professional Plus 2013 replaces Office Professional Plus 2010, and Visio Premium 2010 and Project Professional 2010 were removed.  MSDN subscriptions purchased prior to October 1, 2012 retain production use of Visio Premium 2010 and Project Professional 2010 until renewal of the subscription.

I think this answers your question, although I'm sure its not exactly the answer you're looking for.  Sorry about that.

Thanks,
    Mike

MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support
    Read the Subscriptions Blog!

Monday, February 4, 2013 8:24 PM

All replies

• Hey Zak,

This is covered on the very last page of the Licensing whitepaper in the changelog section:

• Modification of production use rights for Office: Office Professional Plus 2013 replaces Office Professional Plus 2010, and Visio Premium 2010 and Project Professional 2010 were removed.  MSDN subscriptions purchased prior to October 1, 2012 retain production use of Visio Premium 2010 and Project Professional 2010 until renewal of the subscription.

I think this answers your question, although I'm sure its not exactly the answer you're looking for.  Sorry about that.

Thanks,
    Mike

Monday, February 4, 2013 8:24 PM
  • I apologize for replying to this thread marked as answered but going back to the Visio removal from production scenarios when having a MSDN Visual Studio Ultimate subscription, I would like to know when Visio can be used.  What would it be considered developing and testing?  If Visio is used to create diagrams that are for development (e.g., a UML diagram for a software solution) in a machine that is used just for development and testing, is that allowed under the new terms?

Thank you for your answer to this question,

Friday, February 22, 2013 10:11 PM
  • Development uses of software are for when you're working on an extension to the software. (Say, an add-in in the case of Visio).

When using them to aid software development (in your case, writing documents), it qualifies as a "production use" of the software.

• Proposed as answer by motomon Monday, February 25, 2013 6:38 PM
    Sunday, February 24, 2013 12:55 PM
  • Thank you for your response and clarification.
    Monday, February 25, 2013 2:59 PM
  • Feel free to mark additional posts as answered and as helpful even if the thread is closed motomon and Zach.

Thanks for following up on this!

Mike

Monday, February 25, 2013 4:33 PM