sql server 2008 installation issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I am trying to install sql server 2008 enterprise edition on windows xp sp3, i am facing an issue when i finally click "install" to install selected features.

I am getting an error saying "the account name is invalid or does not exist, or the password is invalid for the account name specified".

I tried giving all options like 'network service', 'local system', 'local user accounts' which has admin access in the 'service account' area where we give service account for agent, database engine etc. Still i am facing the same issue. Can anyone kindly help on this issue.

Regards,

Jefferson Lourthusamy. J

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 12:01 PM

Answers

• Hi, I'm not sure about the exact error you are seeing, but according to the documentation, SQL Server 2008 Enterprise Edition is not supported on Windows XP.  It looks like the other versions are supported (Standard, Web, etc.).  I'll snoop around to see if I can find anything related to your specific error.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143506(v=sql.100).aspx#EE32

Thanks,
    Sam Lester (MSFT)

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/samlester

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" and "Vote as Helpful" on posts that help you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Proposed as answer by Sofiya Li Thursday, July 18, 2013 5:13 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sofiya Li Wednesday, July 24, 2013 1:19 AM
    Wednesday, July 17, 2013 2:07 PM
  • Hi Jefferson,

According to the hardware and software requirements of installing SQL Server 2008, SQL Server 2008 Enterprise Edition is supported on Windows Server system. As Samuel post, we can install other versions on Windows XP.

If the issue exists when installing other versions of SQL Server 2008 on Windows xp sp3, there are some steps for troubleshooting this problem.
    1. Check that the account has the necessary permissions and the password was typed correctly.   
    2. We can refer to the Setup Log Files for analysis. The log folders were located at %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Summary.txt, and %programfiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\Log\<YYYYMMDD_HHMM>\Detail.txt.

Thanks,
    Sofiya Li

Sofiya Li
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, July 18, 2013 6:25 AM

All replies

• Hi, I'm not sure about the exact error you are seeing, but according to the documentation, SQL Server 2008 Enterprise Edition is not supported on Windows XP.  It looks like the other versions are supported (Standard, Web, etc.).  I'll snoop around to see if I can find anything related to your specific error.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143506(v=sql.100).aspx#EE32

Thanks,
    Sam Lester (MSFT)

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/samlester

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" and "Vote as Helpful" on posts that help you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Proposed as answer by Sofiya Li Thursday, July 18, 2013 5:13 AM
    Wednesday, July 17, 2013 2:07 PM
  • Hi Jefferson,

According to the hardware and software requirements of installing SQL Server 2008, SQL Server 2008 Enterprise Edition is supported on Windows Server system. As Samuel post, we can install other versions on Windows XP.

If the issue exists when installing other versions of SQL Server 2008 on Windows xp sp3, there are some steps for troubleshooting this problem.
    1. Check that the account has the necessary permissions and the password was typed correctly.   
    2. We can refer to the Setup Log Files for analysis. The log folders were located at %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Summary.txt, and %programfiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\Log\<YYYYMMDD_HHMM>\Detail.txt.

Thanks,
    Sofiya Li

Sofiya Li
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, July 18, 2013 6:25 AM