Make item template show under "New test..." RRS feed

• Question

• I created a new visual studio item template that extends the Coded UI Test template. Then I deployed the template to Users\User\Visual Studio 2010\Templates\Item Templates\Visual C#\1033. The template shows up in the "New item..." dialog but not in the "New test..." dialog.

Is there a way to make this work without having to deploy the item to the VS installdir and call devenv /InstallVSTemplates?

EDIT: Got it working now. Instead of creating a new template I changed the CodedUITest.vstemplate.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 10:20 AM

Answers

• Actually I'm still not quite sure which of the properties in .vstemplate is responsible for a template to show up under 'New Test...' but anyway here's what I did:

I extracted <VSDIR>\Common7\IDE\ItemTemplate\CodedUITest.zip to a temporary folder.

Then I changed all the relevant parts of CodedUITest.vstemplate like Name, Description, Icon and TemplateContent and added another WizardExtension.

Renamed the files, compressed and deployed them to Users\User\Visual Studio 2010\Templates\Item Templates\Visual C#\1033.

That's about it.

Friday, May 14, 2010 6:51 AM
  • Glad I could help.

I investigated a little further and found out that the element responsible for making an item template show under 'New Test...' is CustomDataSignature .

So if you want your template as a test insert the following code to your.vstemplate:

<CustomDataSignature>TestProject-V1</CustomDataSignature>

Have a nice day!

• Marked as answer by Chao Kuo Monday, May 17, 2010 2:46 AM
    Friday, May 14, 2010 12:09 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Glad to hear that your problem was resolved? Could you share the solution with us? This could benifit the members in this forum.

Thanks

Chao

Thursday, May 13, 2010 1:42 PM
  • Actually I'm still not quite sure which of the properties in .vstemplate is responsible for a template to show up under 'New Test...' but anyway here's what I did:

I extracted <VSDIR>\Common7\IDE\ItemTemplate\CodedUITest.zip to a temporary folder.

Then I changed all the relevant parts of CodedUITest.vstemplate like Name, Description, Icon and TemplateContent and added another WizardExtension.

Renamed the files, compressed and deployed them to Users\User\Visual Studio 2010\Templates\Item Templates\Visual C#\1033.

That's about it.

Friday, May 14, 2010 6:51 AM
  • Hi, Albert

You are very clever.

I have figured this for hours, but I failed to get the solution.

Thanks hero!

Chao

Friday, May 14, 2010 8:28 AM
  • Glad I could help.

I investigated a little further and found out that the element responsible for making an item template show under 'New Test...' is CustomDataSignature .

So if you want your template as a test insert the following code to your.vstemplate:

<CustomDataSignature>TestProject-V1</CustomDataSignature>

Have a nice day!

• Marked as answer by Chao Kuo Monday, May 17, 2010 2:46 AM
    Friday, May 14, 2010 12:09 PM