none
deployment a project

Question

• hello, 

I am using VS2013 and try to make a deployment project. but I have couple questions as followed:

1)I would like to keep some of user's file in previous version, so user can still keep their own data after they install the new version;

2)I would like to create s minor patch update package in order to just updat the file I want, but I don't know how to do it

Regards,

Monday, April 10, 2017 7:18 PM

All replies

• You are going to have to be more specific by what you mean by "user files". Which files are you talking about? What's in them? What type of project are you talking about? ASP.NET? Visual C# executable? What dependencies (e.g. .NET Framework version) does it have now? What deployment process are you using now?
    Monday, April 10, 2017 8:31 PM
  • By user files, do you mean the files created by the user with your application deployed OR the some preference files which are included in your deployment package ?

Mark Answered, if it solves your question and Vote if you found it helpful.
    Rohit Arora

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 4:21 AM
  • Hi YANG_OMNI,

Thank you fro posting here.

>>1)I would like to keep some of user's file in previous version, so user can still keep their own data after they install the new version;

For your question, what user's file you want to keep? The data in the version?

You could refer to ClickOnce. The ClickOnce will keep the data in ClickOnce Data Directory.

>>2)I would like to create s minor patch update package in order to just updat the file I want, but I don't know how to do it

If you want to automatic update, you could refer to the Choosing a ClickOnce Update Strategy.

If you want to update by your self, you could refer to the Walkthrough: Creating a Custom Installer for a ClickOnce Application.

I hope this would be helpful.

Best Regards,

Wendy

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Ryan Software Tuesday, April 11, 2017 4:56 PM
    Tuesday, April 11, 2017 7:03 AM
  • I do thank you for your response.

But I hope to get more. 

1)Some files, for example, database file, need to be updated when user install the new version. however, database file includes some user data file, and so I would like to create a installation package including new database structure file and new version application. When user tries to install new version, package will upgrade database file with new feature and also keep the user data in the old version. I know there are two options method as followed:

1) backup old database and copy new database, after new installation is finished, try to transfer user data from old database file to the new database;

2)convert new feature of database into scrip file and insert this script file when installation is processing. 

I can do it either way, but how to create a installation package with one of above feature? I don't use clickone feature, I use msi feature to distribute my desktop program. I would like to confirm the free version deployment project to be able to get it or not?

Monday, April 17, 2017 5:24 PM