Blend 3 crashing more than Blend 2 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a very large project that used to work fine in blend 2.  Now in blend 3 it crashes whenever I try to open the assets window.  It crashes really hard, such that it never finishes compiling debug info.

It also crashes when I try to get into some templates.  For example I tried to create a new ValidationSummaryStyle from a DataForm in one of my UserControls.  Result is a crash, though not as serious as the first one...

These errors do not occur new or smaller projects.  The project where the errors do occur builds and runs fine.

Although I can work around these problems, it is difficult to be productive with Blend 3 right now...
    Thanks! John
    Monday, September 7, 2009 6:52 PM

Answers

• Hi John,
                  You can upload the DMP file at skydrive.live.com and send us the link, also if possible we would you to do one more thing which can give us little more info.

1. Open Blend and open Visual Studio

2. Use Tools --> Attach to Process in Visual Studio and attach to Blend.exe

3. In Visual Studio open Debug --> Exceptions and turn on First chance exceptions (Turn "Thrown" settings for CLR exceptions)

Now repro your crash and send us the call stack for the crash.

Thanks again for helping with this.

Regards,
    Navit Saxena

• Marked as answer by prujohn Wednesday, September 9, 2009 4:23 PM
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 1:31 AM

All replies

• Hi John,
                  Will it be possible for you to share your project with us, this will help us to understand these issues in detai. If so you can send your project directly to me at navits@microsoft.com. Also, please send us some more details:

1. Version of Blend you are using, is this Blend 3 RTM?
    2. Please send us the stack trace for the crash by running Blend from command prompt with /exceptionlog flag.

We are sorry for the inconvenience caused to you.

Regards,
    Navit Saxena
    Monday, September 7, 2009 8:36 PM
  • Hi Navit, I sent you an email.  I am using Blend 3 RTM.
    Thanks! John
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 6:17 PM
  • Hi John,
                  We tried reproducing the crash at our end but unfortunately it didn't repro. Will it be possible for you to send us the call stack for the crash? To get the stack trace you need to launch Blend from command prompt with /exceptionlog flag, on crash the call stack will be opened in a notepad which you can save and then send it to us.

Thanks for you help in investigating this issue.

Regards,
    Navit Saxena
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 10:21 PM
  • Ok so I ran Blend from command prompt with /exceptionlog flag.  When I open my project, for a moment I see one of my UserControls (the one that I emailed to you) and then it crashes.  After a while of "windows is searching for a problem", it asks me to close blend, which I try to do, but blend stays open with a white screen, and the process is still showing in task manager (no memory or cpu change).  Notepad never opens with a stacktrace.

I created a .DMP file of the Blend process from Task Manager.  It is 181MB compressed.  Is there a location where I can upload it to?
    Thanks! John
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 11:57 PM
  • Hi John,
                  You can upload the DMP file at skydrive.live.com and send us the link, also if possible we would you to do one more thing which can give us little more info.

1. Open Blend and open Visual Studio

2. Use Tools --> Attach to Process in Visual Studio and attach to Blend.exe

3. In Visual Studio open Debug --> Exceptions and turn on First chance exceptions (Turn "Thrown" settings for CLR exceptions)

Now repro your crash and send us the call stack for the crash.

Thanks again for helping with this.

Regards,
    Navit Saxena

• Marked as answer by prujohn Wednesday, September 9, 2009 4:23 PM
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 1:31 AM
  • Microsoft may need to release a service pack!!!
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 4:22 AM
  • This issue was resolved offline with John.

Wednesday, September 9, 2009 8:32 PM