USB OTG support of wince 5 RRS feed

• Question

• I am developing a rmi au1200(chipset) prj. I have add the usb otg driver of au1200 to my prj in platform builder 5. It can connect to my pc(xp) as a mass storage normally. But when I plug a usb mouse or a usb disk to it, there is not any response. Do I need to add some item from Microsoft in platform builder 5. please tell me how to solve this problem. Thanks
    Tuesday, July 10, 2007 6:12 AM

Answers

• There is no USB OTG support in Platform Builder 5.0.

Microsoft initially adds OTG support with Windows Embedded CE 6.0. All the OTG drivers are available as sample sources in PB 6.0.

I'd suggest you get copy of Platform Builder 6.0 and study the samples shipped with it.

You sould be able to port back the 6.0 drivers back to Windows CE 5.0.

Hope this helps

Michael

Wednesday, July 11, 2007 10:09 AM

All replies

• In order to support a mouse or a USB disk, you need USB host and appropriate function drivers added to your design. In addition you need to decide what mode your USB will be, client or host as, it cannot be both at the same time. I think there was a sample in PB showing how to switch a USB port between host and client mode
    Wednesday, July 11, 2007 4:19 AM
  • Thanks for you help.
    There are 2 USB controller in my chipset(au1200). One is a host and the other is a OTG. The host can work normally with USB mouse or disk device, but the OTG cannot work with them. So the USB OTG and appropriate function driver have been added. As what you said "In addition you need to decide what mode your USB will be, client or host as, it cannot be both at the same time", I think it is the problem. However I don't know how to make the OTG as a HOST or a Device in software. And I cannot find any sample in pb about USB OTG. Please tell me.Thanks.

Wednesday, July 11, 2007 7:24 AM
  • There is no USB OTG support in Platform Builder 5.0.

Microsoft initially adds OTG support with Windows Embedded CE 6.0. All the OTG drivers are available as sample sources in PB 6.0.

I'd suggest you get copy of Platform Builder 6.0 and study the samples shipped with it.

You sould be able to port back the 6.0 drivers back to Windows CE 5.0.

Hope this helps

Michael

Wednesday, July 11, 2007 10:09 AM
  • Hi there,

Does the OTG driver has any dependency on the WinCE 6.0 kernel? Incase if I port back to 5.0 will there be any kernel component to be added?

Thanks

Milind

Saturday, August 4, 2007 1:14 AM
  • A few month ago I was porting USBSerial back to CE5. I seem to remember that this has required some changes, because some of the USBD data structures were extended between CE5 and CE6. USB-OTG will likely be affected as well. Basically, you need to try.

Saturday, August 4, 2007 2:28 AM
  • Hi Milind

As Alex arleady said: there is a good chance that the OTG support uses some new features only available in CE6 (new APIs, changed data structures)

We have successfully ported other USB drivers to previous OS releases - they did require some minor code changes.

While studying the OTG support source code, I could not find anything that would prevent a successful backport.

I'd carfully study the sources and the try to port them.

Michael

Monday, August 6, 2007 7:14 AM
  • Hi Snakeq,

I am developing USB mass storage device driver for WinCE5.0. please help me for that....and i am not getting any power on USB port wat i have to do to get the power......

Thursday, December 20, 2007 6:28 AM
  • Sorry if this is obvious but is wince 6 synonymous with win mobile?

Context: I am developing a USB device designed for a win mobile phone. The question is do I have to include some USB host support in my device to enable a win mobile phone to connect to it? Ideally, I will be able to add my USB device driver to a winmobile phone and thus be able to communicate with it.

Any clues would be deeply appreciated. thanks
    Friday, January 25, 2008 3:14 PM
  • Hi Tubinson,

However I cannot answer for sure all your questions, I can tell you I am on the same boat: We developed a customized device which is supposed to be connected to a PDA using the miniUSB port. I know that the handset's microcontroller (MSM7200) is OTG capable, but I found in forums (xda-developers) that HTC placed a USB client chip in between. I tested the device and definitely doesn't act as a host being connected to a USB client. The device runs on Windows Mobile 6.1 (with WinCE5.2 core).

Three questions:

1) If indeed is not USB OTG capable (neither OTG client nor OTG host - just client), does it mean that our device has to be just USB host (NOT OTG host) to be able to talk to the PDA?

2) There are not issues for the OS (WM6.1) to recognize our device, even in hardware the handset is just USB client?

3) The process would be: creating the driver for our device (using Windriver from Jungo for example) and putting the keys in the register associated to the driver?

Any direction would be highly appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance!

Edgar

Saturday, January 24, 2009 3:29 PM
  • hello all,

I have a problem regarding the OTG on my windows ce 5.0 device. it is a low-end cheap gps navigation device based on a AT4x0A chip which i found supports OTG 2.0 and what i found inside the windows ce registry is a set of keys defining OTG drivers. I'm trying to enable the device to be a OTG host to connect e.g. usb keyboard or a pendrive but i'm not familiar with the registry settings. it's really hard to find anybody knowledgeable in this area - can someone help me with setting up the registry? I have a dump prepared so if anybody would like to take a look i can try to post it somewhere here.

thanks in advance,
    Marek
    Monday, February 9, 2009 5:25 PM
  • hello all,

I have a problem regarding the OTG on my windows ce 5.0 device. it is a low-end cheap gps navigation device based on a AT4x0A chip which i found supports OTG 2.0 and what i found inside the windows ce registry is a set of keys defining OTG drivers. I'm trying to enable the device to be a OTG host to connect e.g. usb keyboard or a pendrive but i'm not familiar with the registry settings. it's really hard to find anybody knowledgeable in this area - can someone help me with setting up the registry? I have a dump prepared so if anybody would like to take a look i can try to post it somewhere here.

thanks in advance,
    Marek

hi all,

i want to know which windows mobile support USB OTG connections please mention list as i make an application in that we can take input user fingerprint from external fingerprint scanner.so it must attach with mobile and for this we want a USB OTG connections phone

thanks in advance

aly

Wednesday, December 22, 2010 4:13 PM