none
Change to new SQL server without when alias is not configured RRS feed

• Question

• Hey everyone,

I was wondering, if it is at all possible, to change the SharePoint SQL server, if an alias was not configured during the initial SharePoint setup?
    Obviously the use of an alias is best practice, but I was recently asked to perform this action for a client, that did not do this when they first configured their SharePoint farm?

Any thoughts on this?

Michael

mic

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 8:08 AM

Answers

• The official way is to do one of two things:

1) Build a new farm, migrate the databases and configuration to it (sans Config/Admin/Usage/Sync).

2) Use a SQL alias on all SharePoint servers.

Those are your two options. No, disconnecting from the farm and reconnecting isn't a supported method to change servers as internal references in the Config database will not change as part of this process.

Trevor Seward

Office Apps and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2019

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 1:25 PM

All replies

• SharePoint farm and nearly all its contents are stored in SQL databases.

Do you mean to migrate the dbs for change to new SQL server?

Justin Liu Office Apps & Services MVP, MCSE
    Senior Software Engineer
    Please Vote and Mark as Answer if it helps you.

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 8:44 AM
  • Hey Justin,

Yes that is precisely what I mean.
    It will not be an upgrade to a new SharePoint version, the the move of all databases to a new SQL server.

mic

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 8:50 AM
  • You can disconnect from current farm and connect to the new sql server through config wizard.

Justin Liu Office Apps & Services MVP, MCSE
    Senior Software Engineer
    Please Vote and Mark as Answer if it helps you.

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 9:30 AM
  • Not really sure I like that idea to be honest.

Is that the absolute only and official MS way to do this, if an alias has not been configured?

mic

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 11:56 AM
  • The official way is to do one of two things:

1) Build a new farm, migrate the databases and configuration to it (sans Config/Admin/Usage/Sync).

2) Use a SQL alias on all SharePoint servers.

Those are your two options. No, disconnecting from the farm and reconnecting isn't a supported method to change servers as internal references in the Config database will not change as part of this process.

Trevor Seward

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 1:25 PM
  • Hey Trevor,

So just to get this straight, what you are saying, is that, if an alias was not configured during the initial SharePoint configuration, then the only real option to move the databases to a new SQL and have SharePoint connect to them, is actually if you create a new farm?
    And that running the farm configuration may connect you to a new SQL server, but since the config database has internal references to the old SQL server, this will not work?

Is this correctly understood?

mic

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 1:32 PM
  • No, you can create an alias now. The alias will be the name of the current SQL Server and will point to your new SQL Server. This can be done via cliconfg on all SharePoint servers. And of course, move all of the databases.

Trevor Seward

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 3:21 PM
  • Hi,

Here’s an official document for your reference.

Move all databases in SharePoint Server.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/administration/move-all-databases

Best regards,

Chelsea Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Thursday, August 15, 2019 3:09 AM
  • Ok

So just create a new alias, and name it after whatever the current SQL server is named, and point to new SQL Server.

Gothca..

Thank you for the help Trevor.

mic

Thursday, August 15, 2019 6:23 AM