Which database to use for Windows Application? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi ,

My requirements is to create Windows application with database. My requirements is to create the database file at run time when user click on the button. My problem is which database should i use which will not cause any deployment problem? Access or Sql server Compact.

Please suggest how to proceed?

Regards,

Samira

Thursday, December 12, 2013 12:01 PM

Answers

• Hi Samira82,

Welcomes you to MSDN forums..

It is depends on your task requirements and  based on your database usages. 

1. if u use OLEDB then it is very easy (if your database size is less amount) 

2. if your database size is somewhat hige then got to SQL.

By

A Pathfinder..

JoSwa(Elayaraja P)

If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and "Mark as Helpful"

• Marked as answer by Barry Wang Monday, December 23, 2013 9:48 AM
    Thursday, December 12, 2013 4:34 PM

All replies

• Hi Samira82,

Welcomes you to MSDN forums..

It is depends on your task requirements and  based on your database usages. 

1. if u use OLEDB then it is very easy (if your database size is less amount) 

2. if your database size is somewhat hige then got to SQL.

By

A Pathfinder..

JoSwa(Elayaraja P)

If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and "Mark as Helpful"

• Marked as answer by Barry Wang Monday, December 23, 2013 9:48 AM
    Thursday, December 12, 2013 4:34 PM
  • Hello,

In regards which database to use, that depends on your application requirements so the requirements come first.

If you want to create a MS-Access database at runtime look at the following project I have on SkyDrive.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem.

Sunday, December 15, 2013 12:03 PM
  • If your application is a single user (no need to share data outside of the application) then go with SQL Server Compact (or any other embedded database - easy to deploy, no need to install anything).

And if you one day need to upgrade to a serious database then the path to SQL Server is fairly straightforward.

Miha Markic [MVP C#] http://blog.rthand.com

Monday, December 16, 2013 8:04 AM