How to serialize data structures in a Windows Store app

Question

• I'm writing a DirectX application and would like to persist the state of the application.

I'm planning to either serialize my data structures to files or to save information into an sqllite database.

Do windows store apps in C++ support object serialization? Can I use sqllite with my C++ Windows Store app?

Thanks in advance.

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 7:03 PM

Answers

• There aren't any serialization specific API for C++ in Windows Store apps.

You can use SQLite in a C++ Windows Store app.

--Rob

• Marked as answer by Jesse Jiang Monday, May 20, 2013 8:21 AM
    Tuesday, May 14, 2013 7:26 PM
    Owner
  • C/C++ does not have a built-in standard serialization system ala .NET.

There are any number of ways to approach persistence of data, and in most cases you don't want to serialize everything since much of it can be reloaded from your original asset files.

The main 'trick' with Windows Store apps is using supported APIs and using the correct locations where you have permission to write file data.

If you are looking for a .NET style solution, you may be want to check out Boost's Serialization solution.

• Marked as answer by Jesse Jiang Monday, May 20, 2013 8:20 AM
    Tuesday, May 14, 2013 9:10 PM

All replies

• There aren't any serialization specific API for C++ in Windows Store apps.

You can use SQLite in a C++ Windows Store app.

--Rob

• Marked as answer by Jesse Jiang Monday, May 20, 2013 8:21 AM
    Tuesday, May 14, 2013 7:26 PM
    Owner
  • C/C++ does not have a built-in standard serialization system ala .NET.

There are any number of ways to approach persistence of data, and in most cases you don't want to serialize everything since much of it can be reloaded from your original asset files.

The main 'trick' with Windows Store apps is using supported APIs and using the correct locations where you have permission to write file data.

If you are looking for a .NET style solution, you may be want to check out Boost's Serialization solution.

• Marked as answer by Jesse Jiang Monday, May 20, 2013 8:20 AM
    Tuesday, May 14, 2013 9:10 PM