none
Installing .NET Framework 3.5 on Win 8.1: 0x800f0906 for Win Update, 0x800F081F for installation media RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am trying to install .NET Framework 3.5 on Windows 8.1 (fresh install of Windows 8 + upgrade to Windows 8.1). I do have administrative privileges and I can connect to Windows Update with no problems, I have downloaded and installed all updates.

1) 0x800f0906: “Windows couldn't connect to the Internet to download necessary files. Make sure that you're connected to the Internet, and click Retry to try again.”

I get this error when .NET Framework installation is initiated by an application that requires it, or when I'm using dotNetFx35setup installer from Windows website, or when I'm trying to enable it from Programs and Features (also after disabling all non-Microsoft services in msconfig).

I also get this error if installing from Windows Update with elevated command prompt:
    DISM /Online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:NetFx3 /All

2) 0x800F081F: "The source files could not be found. Use the Source option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature."

I get this error when I try to install from installation media with elevated command prompt:
    DISM /Online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:NetFx3 /All /LimitAccess /Source:E:\sources\sxs

I also get it if using files on Windows partition as a source (C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\sxs).

Basically, I tried everything in Installing the .NET Framework 3.5 on Windows 8 or 8.1, in Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Deployment Considerations, and in .NET Framework 3.5 installation error: 0x800F0906, 0x800F081F, 0x800F0907 to no avail.

Please help.

• Edited by Denis9999 Sunday, August 31, 2014 11:07 AM
    Sunday, August 31, 2014 10:18 AM

Answers

• Here is the solution that worked for me, it might work for people reporting the same problem on this forum:

If you originally bought Windows 8, revert your system to Windows 8 (which for me meant reinstalling from scratch).

Download/enable .NET Framework 3.5 using any of the methods described in Installing the .NET Framework 3.5 on Windows 8 or 8.1 before upgrading to 8.1.

Is it possible that upgrade to 8.1 prevents .NET Framework from installing?

• Edited by Denis9999 Sunday, August 31, 2014 4:04 PM
    • Marked as answer by Anna Cc Monday, September 8, 2014 7:19 AM
    Sunday, August 31, 2014 12:39 PM

All replies

• Here is the solution that worked for me, it might work for people reporting the same problem on this forum:

If you originally bought Windows 8, revert your system to Windows 8 (which for me meant reinstalling from scratch).

Download/enable .NET Framework 3.5 using any of the methods described in Installing the .NET Framework 3.5 on Windows 8 or 8.1 before upgrading to 8.1.

Is it possible that upgrade to 8.1 prevents .NET Framework from installing?

• Edited by Denis9999 Sunday, August 31, 2014 4:04 PM
    • Marked as answer by Anna Cc Monday, September 8, 2014 7:19 AM
    Sunday, August 31, 2014 12:39 PM
  • Hi Denis9999,

>>Is it possible that upgrade to 8.1 prevents .NET Framework from installing?

As far as I know, the odds of this happening are quite low.

Thank you for your solution and your contribution to this forum!

Best regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, September 1, 2014 9:17 AM
  • please let me affirm this; I thought it was a tool or my antivirus that preventing the installation, but as I read others having the same issue, the problem is confirmed. Also, by reading the error, it indicate an internet connection is the problem when it is not. Microsoft need to post an update to fix this issue please, Thanks!

Friday, September 5, 2014 6:33 AM