none
increase/decreasing startime or endtime do not update properties correctly RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

i am working on outlook addin, devloping using VS 2005 for  outlook2007 having build version as 12.0.6562.5003 sp2mso 12.0.6562.5003(finf through About Microsof outlook)

my addin do a specific action , when it finds that there is change in time of appointment item. definitely change evnet fires, i am capturing that change event and checks that if strattime or endtime has cahnged then do some action send an ajx request

but there are some scenarios in which it do not update starttime and endtime properties of item and ajax request do not initite.

here is scenario.

1) suppose i have an appointmet item having start time as 27/01/2012 14:00:00 and end time as 27/01/2012 15:00:00 and this has got attendess as well. note that this is the main condition to replicate problem, so it must have attendess.

2) without opening inspector i try to increase starttime only , suppose 27/01/2012 13:30:00. so new strattime is now 27/01/2012 13:30:00. and end time is 27/01/2012 15:00:00

3) a dialogue box opens

4)click ok , change event fires , but what i am finding in my log is that start time of appointment item is still 27/01/2012 14:00:0, so action which should happen depending on if time changes. but when i debuuged Start property of appointment item is still same which is 27/01/2012 14:00:0, but the expected value in Start property is 27/01/2012 13:30:00

same thing is happening if i decrease starttime or increase/decrease end time.

now, if i drag and drop the appointment at some other time slot, then it shows up above dialogue and when i click ok then it always open the inspector and then i click on send update and everything works fine.

i checked in outlook2010 , if test with above scenario, it always open inspector.

note sure, why outlook is not updating time properties in above scenario.

has someone seen this before with outlook 2007? let me know if i need to check something else.

Thanks

• Edited by Nitrup Thursday, January 26, 2012 1:07 PM image was not added
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 1:04 PM

Answers

• The code in the handler looks innocent enough.

Are the Outlook profiles set up the same on both machines where it happens and doesn't happen? In other words are they both set for the same account types, with the same send/receive intervals, with the same connections to the server if Exchange is used and so on?

Have you been able to test this on any machines running Outlook 2010? What do you observe on those, assuming things are set up the same as on the 2007 machines?

--
    Ken Slovak
    MVP - Outlook
    http://www.slovaktech.com
    Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007

"Nitrup" <=?utf-8?B?Tml0cnVw?=> wrote in message news:e622c1d0-638e-4d41-8e7f-8de82110bc13...

Hi ken,

well, i was also having doubt that, is my code doing something?. so i comented out all the code and just checking start time, its still not showing updated value

Public WithEvents FolderItems As Outlook.Items

here folderitem is is  being intialized  through a calendarwrapper class.

Private Sub Calendar_ItemChange(ByVal Item As Object) Handles FolderItems.ItemChange
            CodeSite.Send("FolderItems.ItemChanged in calendar wrppaer for" & Me.Name)
            Try
                MsgBox(Item.Start)
                'ddlms.ApptChangedNew(Item, Me.EmailAddress)
            Catch e As System.Exception
                CodeSite.SendException(e)
            End Try
    End Sub

whether it works or not, all time it fires same number of change event.

yes, change appear in user interface.

i tested with outlook2007sp2 and sp3, its happening.

on one of machine i recently  installed windows update, what its doing is that , it fires change event , but it do not uadate the start time, after some time approximately 5-6 seconds, change event fires again, and this time i get correct start time.

Thnaks

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 4:33 PM

All replies

• What code is the change event handler executing?

In the fault cases does the change event handler fire more than once?

Does the change appear in the user interface?

What about if you grab the item's EntryID and release any references you have to the item, then re-instantiate your object, does the object have the new time then?

Do you see the same problem with other versions or builds of Outlook?

--
    Ken Slovak
    MVP - Outlook

"Nitrup" <=?utf-8?B?Tml0cnVw?=> wrote in message news:150abfa9-3384-418e-8c50-cb1801455da0...

Hi,

i am working on outlook addin, devloping using VS 2005 for  outlook2007 having build version as 12.0.6562.5003 sp2mso 12.0.6562.5003(finf through About Microsof outlook)

my addin do a specific action , when it finds that there is change in time of appointment item. definitely change evnet fires, i am capturing that change event and checks that if strattime or endtime has cahnged then do some action send an ajx request

but there are some scenarios in which it do not update starttime and endtime properties of item and ajax request do not initite.

here is scenario.

1) suppose i have an appointmet item having start time as 27/01/2012 14:00:00 and end time as 27/01/2012 15:00:00 and this has got attendess as well. note that this is the main condition to replicate problem, so it must have attendess.

2) without opening inspector i try to increase starttime only , suppose 27/01/2012 13:30:00. so new strattime is now 27/01/2012 13:30:00. and end time is 27/01/2012 15:00:00

3) a dialogue box opens

4)click ok , change event fires , but what i am finding in my log is that start time of appointment item is still 27/01/2012 14:00:0, so action which should happen depending on if time changes. but when i debuuged Start property of appointment item is still same which is 27/01/2012 14:00:0, but the expected value in Start property is 27/01/2012 13:30:00

same thing is happening if i decrease starttime or increase/decrease end time.

now, if i drag and drop the appointment at some other time slot, then it shows up above dialogue and when i click ok then it always open the inspector and then i click on send update and everything works fine.

i checked in outlook2010 , if test with above scenario, it always open inspector.

note sure, why outlook is not updating time properties in above scenario.

has someone seen this before with outlook 2007? let me know if i need to check something else.

Thanks

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 1:50 PM
  • Hi ken,

well, i was also having doubt that, is my code doing something?. so i comented out all the code and just checking start time, its still not showing updated value

Private Sub Calendar_ItemChange(ByVal Item As Object) Handles FolderItems.ItemChange
            Try
                MsgBox(Item.Start)
            End Try
    End Sub

on one of machine i recently  installed windows update, what its doing is that , it fires change event , but it do not uadate the start time, after some time approximately 5-6 seconds, change event fires again, and this time i get correct start time.

Thnaks

Thursday, January 26, 2012 4:27 PM
  • The code in the handler looks innocent enough.

Are the Outlook profiles set up the same on both machines where it happens and doesn't happen? In other words are they both set for the same account types, with the same send/receive intervals, with the same connections to the server if Exchange is used and so on?

Have you been able to test this on any machines running Outlook 2010? What do you observe on those, assuming things are set up the same as on the 2007 machines?

--
    Ken Slovak
    MVP - Outlook

"Nitrup" <=?utf-8?B?Tml0cnVw?=> wrote in message news:e622c1d0-638e-4d41-8e7f-8de82110bc13...

Hi ken,

Try
                MsgBox(Item.Start)
            End Try
    End Sub

Thnaks

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 4:33 PM
  • Hi Ken,

Sorry for late response.

yes, both machines having same profile setup and other setups are alos same.

well, i canot run my addin in outllok 2010, but i have observed a genral bahavior in outlook 2010, whenever any appointment item has attendes in it and if you increase/decrease strattime only or endtime only then it always open up a new inspector.

However, in 2007 when you do this it do not open up inspector, but if you darg and drop the appointment to some anothe time slot, inspector always opens.

Thanks

Monday, January 30, 2012 10:58 AM
  • What about if you replace your MsgBox() call with one to Debug.WriteLine(), does it make a difference?

--
    Ken Slovak
    MVP - Outlook

"Nitrup" <=?utf-8?B?Tml0cnVw?=> wrote in message news:c2347d7b-4da7-435c-9f7a-46735e6d6eaf...

Hi Ken,

Sorry for late response.

yes, both machines having same profile setup and other setups are alos same.

well, i canot run my addin in outllok 2010, but i have observed a genral bahavior in outlook 2010, whenever any appointment item has attendes in it and if you increase/decrease strattime only or endtime only then it always open up a new inspector.

However, in 2007 when you do this it do not open up inspector, but if you darg and drop the appointment to some anothe time slot, inspector always opens.

Thanks

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Monday, January 30, 2012 2:42 PM
  • Ken,

i tested it in that way too, but its still showing same thing,

i debugged throgh outlook spy as well, but it shows wrong starttime.

here item with subject hellotest in outlook calendar is showing start as 30/01/2012 17:30:00, but on outlook spy its showing 30/01/2012 18:30:00

one more strange thing, after this when i again tried to increase time to 30/01/2012 17:00:00, this time it get the start time as 30/01/2012 18:30:00, and on user interface it automaticalyy chnaged to 30/01/2012 18:30:00

Please let me know, if you re finding something else.

Thanks

Monday, January 30, 2012 3:23 PM
  • When you looked at the date properties of the items using OutlookSpy, did you look using the Item button or IMessage? Item will translate any date/time property to local time, IMessage shows date/time properties are they're stored internally by MAPI, as UTC. So any date/time property viewed using IMessage will be in universal time and will have an offset to the local time.

Let's try to get a repro for this using VBA code if possible. Try to set up the equivalent code to what your addin is doing in the Outlook VBA project. You can add any event handlers to the ThisOutlookSession class to handle the ItemChange() event. That way we eliminate anything related to wrapper class handling or anything related to the Interop or PIA's and so on.

Let's also try to get some updated repro steps similar to what you mentioned in your first post in this thread. When I get a chance I'll start a couple of my VM's for 2010 and 2007 and see if I can repro what you're seeing. Make sure the steps are clear and easy to follow.

--
    Ken Slovak
    MVP - Outlook

"Nitrup" <=?utf-8?B?Tml0cnVw?=> wrote in message news:6b1f5db4-1982-4c0c-b31d-b17a2c910dfa...

Ken,

i tested it in that way too, but its still showing same thing,

i debugged throgh outlook spy as well, but it shows wrong starttime.

here item with subject hellotest in outlook calendar is showing start as 30/01/2012 17:30:00, but on outlook spy its showing 30/01/2012 18:30:00

one more strange thing, after this when i again tried to increase time to 30/01/2012 17:00:00, this time it get the start time as 30/01/2012 18:30:00, and on user interface it automaticalyy chnaged to 30/01/2012 18:30:00

Please let me know, if you re finding something else.

Thanks

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Monday, January 30, 2012 4:16 PM
  • Hi ken,

this is my simplest code to reproduce this bug.

Public Class ThisAddIn
    Public WithEvents myOlItems As Outlook.Items

Private Sub ThisAddIn_Startup(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Me.Startup
     myOlItems = Application.GetNamespace("MAPI").GetDefaultFolder(Outlook.OlDefaultFolders.olFolderCalendar).Items
    End Sub

Private Sub myOlItems_ItemChange(ByVal Item As Object) Handles myOlItems.ItemChange
     MsgBox(Item.start)
    End Sub

Private Sub ThisAddIn_Shutdown(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Me.Shutdown

End Sub

End Class

I can reproduce this bug with this code even, i have tested this code on outlook 2007 sp3.

here are the test steps to reproduce this bug

1) create an appointment for any time, let say starttime 31/01/2011 10:30 and endtime is 31/01/2011 11:30.

2) click on invite attendees on inspector window to have invitee with this item.

3) save this item, by cliciking on send button.

4) your item is on the calendar now,without opening inspector window, try to modify this item by increasing the start time only, suppose 31/01/2011 10:00, so endtime is still  31/01/2011 11:30, a dialogue box will open

select "Save changes and send update" and press ok

5) item change event fires, msgbox showing starttime as 31/01/2011 10:30. which seems to a bug

6) Try increasing starttime again , suppose 31/01/2011 09:30, so endtime is still  31/01/2011 11:30, msgbox showing starttime as 31/01/2011 10:00.

i can only test it on outlook 2007, because i do not have outlook 2010 yet on my machine.

in outlook 2007 whenever we drag an drop the item to other time slot, it opens up dialogue box and when you click ok then it opens up inspector and clicking on sendupdate button gives correct starttime.

let me know if you have any doubt in test steps

Thanks

Monday, January 30, 2012 10:16 PM
  • I'll try to get a chance to set up a test for this in Outlook 2007 on one of my dev machines. It might take me a couple of days to see what's going on. I'll let you know what I find out.

--
    Ken Slovak
    MVP - Outlook

"Nitrup" <=?utf-8?B?Tml0cnVw?=> wrote in message news:08a20fd1-73ed-4fa0-bb2c-8cc83034c8a1...

Hi ken,

this is my simplest code to reproduce this bug.

Public Class ThisAddIn
    Public WithEvents myOlItems As Outlook.Items

Private Sub ThisAddIn_Startup(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Me.Startup
     myOlItems = Application.GetNamespace("MAPI").GetDefaultFolder(Outlook.OlDefaultFolders.olFolderCalendar).Items
    End Sub

Private Sub myOlItems_ItemChange(ByVal Item As Object) Handles myOlItems.ItemChange
     MsgBox(Item.start)
    End Sub

Private Sub ThisAddIn_Shutdown(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Me.Shutdown

End Sub

End Class

I can reproduce this bug with this code even, i have tested this code on outlook 2007 sp3.

here are the test steps to reproduce this bug

1) create an appointment for any time, let say starttime 31/01/2011 10:30 and endtime is 31/01/2011 11:30.

2) click on invite attendees on inspector window to have invitee with this item.

3) save this item, by cliciking on send button.

4) your item is on the calendar now,without opening inspector window, try to modify this item by increasing the start time only, suppose 31/01/2011 10:00, so endtime is still  31/01/2011 11:30, a dialogue box will open

select "Save changes and send update" and press ok

5) item change event fires, msgbox showing starttime as 31/01/2011 10:30. which seems to a bug

6) Try increasing starttime again , suppose 31/01/2011 09:30, so endtime is still  31/01/2011 11:30, msgbox showing starttime as 31/01/2011 10:00.

i can only test it on outlook 2007, because i do not have outlook 2010 yet on my machine.

in outlook 2007 whenever we drag an drop the item to other time slot, it opens up dialogue box and when you click ok then it opens up inspector and clicking on sendupdate button gives correct starttime.

let me know if you have any doubt in test steps

Thanks

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 2:58 PM
  • Hi Ken,

Have you got chance to replicate this?

Thanks

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 10:34 PM
  • Not yet, I plan to try to repro this today if I can. I was out for a bit due to eye surgery, now that I'm fully caught up I have some time to look into this.

--
    Ken Slovak
    MVP - Outlook

"Nitrup" <=?utf-8?B?Tml0cnVw?=> wrote in message news:7159ab58-a884-4f77-bcf9-cb1923f12dcd...

Hi Ken,

Have you got chance to replicate this?

Thanks

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Wednesday, February 8, 2012 2:18 PM
  • I was able to test this on an Outlook 2007 SP3 setup on a POP3 profile running on WinXP. I did confirm a problem.

In fact, when I dragged the appointment start time I didn't get the confirmation dialog until a send/receive ran or I manually initiated a send/receive. Then the times were still incorrect.

In OutlookSpy the changed item showed the correct new time when IMessage was used, using Item showed the original start time as the start time until I restarted Outlook.

The change handler I modified to cast the Item to an AppointmentItem and then get the Start value and write it using Debug.WriteLine(), but it still wrote out the original start time.

I've asked a couple of contacts as MS to take a look at this and see what should be done, whether opening a support incident is justified and might be helpful. Either one or more of them will post here, or I will when I get an answer with their recommendations.

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 4:18 PM
  • Hi,

I took a look at this and did some relatively basic testing. From what I can see, this is likely all working "by design" (but don't read too much into that term, I'd call it more like "by limitation"). It does not seem like a bug to me (unless there's more than I'm not understanding).

Outlook's events generally fall into two categories: those that are implemented in Outlook's code that handles UI, and those that are implemented in Outlook's code that handles data. This is really a key concept to understand when designing solutions since it tends to cause some bad solution architecture problems later on.

In this case, the ItemAdd, ItemChange and ItemRemove events are all data-based events. In other words, they are going to fire whenever Outlook writes the item to the store. While I'm making an educated guess here to some degree based on the event behavior I'm seeing, it seems that in your steps to reproduce the problem, this doesn't really happen until the item loses focus in Outlook's UI. Simply dragging the start or end time is not forcing Outlook to save the item by itself, you need to click off the item. For performance reasons, Outlook's only going to save the item later on when it thinks the user is done with the item.

Overall, there isn't a direct coorelation between what happens when the user does something in the Outlook UI and when these data-cerntric events fire. Outlook's own logic can get in-between.

I also tested (to be sure) that the PropertyChange event has the same limitation where it will only fire when Outlook saves the item to the store. Sorry, but I'm not aware of any way to get a more immediate notification of this user interaction.

Bill Jacob - Microsoft Customer Service & Support - Developer Messaging

• Proposed as answer by Bill Ja - MSFTModerator Friday, February 10, 2012 7:08 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Nitrup Tuesday, February 14, 2012 9:40 AM
    Friday, February 10, 2012 7:08 PM

• Hi Bill,

I agree ItemChange event fires when item losses focus, But even then it is not giving updated value for Start property of the Item. so, you increase the start time of an item having attendees in it and when item losses focus , Itemchange event fire but Start property of the item still showing previous value.

Have you noticed, if you increase start time second time, then ItemChange event fires and give you start value of the item which you set at first time ?

If this is by design, then why its not happening for those item which do not have attendees in it. it always work fine for those items.

As an addin developer, i am relying on this behavior , that whenever i change time. it should give me correct start time value, Which i am not getting for the item having attendees in it.

Another inconsistent behavior, which i can not understand is , when you drag the item to another time slot(start time and end time both are being modified), this time it will open up an inspector window.
    but if you increase or decrease start time or end time then it just open up dialogue box and then after that Itemchange event fires but start property do not updates.

well, if you think if this is by design, do you know any work around for this?

Thanks

Saturday, February 11, 2012 9:11 PM
  • Hi Bill,

please give some direction on what to do about this issue

Thanks

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 10:42 PM
  • ken,

what you think about Bill's answer. i am not getting it, what excatly i should do now?

Thanks

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 3:29 PM
  • I'm not sure there's a good workaround for the problem. My impression when I discussed this with Bill was that there's no real good solution. What I'd try and see if it helps would be to handle the Item.Unload event. That should fire when the item that was loaded (cached) by Outlook is unloaded. At that time it should be possible to read the item and get the correct value.

You can try adding that event handler for the item as it's selected and then see if it reflects the correct values when it fires.

Outlook has never been too good at handling drag & drop events, unfortunately this looks like another instance of that.

--
    Ken Slovak
    MVP - Outlook

"Nitrup" <=?utf-8?B?Tml0cnVw?=> wrote in message news:0f501d00-adad-42c2-ae62-5d6a6648a311...

ken,

what you think about Bill's answer. i am not getting it, what excatly i should do now?

Thanks

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Wednesday, February 15, 2012 4:05 PM
  • Thanks Ken

let me know, if you come up with any solution. in the mean time i will also try to find something.

Thank you very much for your time.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 5:15 PM
  • Hi, and sorry for the delay. At this point I'm afraid there's probably not an ideal answer as Ken said. I verified the behavior you're seeing, and as with many things like this, even if the product group reviews this and thinks it's a bug object model-wise, we almost certainly can't fix this behavior in currently-released versions because we will potentially break other add-ins that may have some kind of depenency on the current event behavior.

Overall, I would suggest it would be best if you could open a support incident on this and then we can take a look at this in terms of evaluating this behavior for the next version of Outlook and also to investigate potential workarounds. Overall, it's difficult to recommend anything specific without really undertanding the big picture of what your solution is trying to accomplish by hooking into the calendar view in this scenario. But whatever the approach, and as Ken suggested, it would likely need to get at the item at a later point, so it would be less "real-time."

Bill Jacob - Microsoft Customer Service & Support - Developer Messaging

Thursday, February 16, 2012 6:05 PM
  • Hi Bill,

Thanks for reply!

where shoulf i open the support incident, support.microsoft.com or connect.microsoft.com

just to confirm, in outlook 2010 , when we follow test steps i mentioned , it's opening up a new inspector which is making life easy.

so probably, microsoft already done something to handle this.

Thanks

Thursday, February 16, 2012 8:52 PM
  • That gives me an idea.

Test if it's Outlook 2010, and if not use item.GetInspector() to get an Inspector for the item. If you need to display it for the workaround to work then call Display() on the Inspector.

See if that helps.

--
    Ken Slovak
    MVP - Outlook

"Nitrup" <=?utf-8?B?Tml0cnVw?=> wrote in message news:d1fd6974-9f1e-4d8e-b625-56bff8ddc244...

Hi Bill,

Thanks for reply!

where shoulf i open the support incident, support.microsoft.com or connect.microsoft.com

just to confirm, in outlook 2010 , when we follow test steps i mentioned , it's opening up a new inspector which is making life easy.

so probably, microsoft already done something to handle this.

Thanks

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Thursday, February 16, 2012 9:03 PM
  • ken,

i thought of doing that as well. but i would like to open up inspector for a specific condition, like when i know time has changed. i can not open inspector evrytime when itemchange event fires, itemchange event sometime fires due to some other reason as well.

that means i need something which gives me an indication, item has been changed due to time, but that should be before itemchange event fires

well, while writing this reply, i think i can try BeforeItemMove. let see if that can give me something.

Thanks

Thursday, February 16, 2012 9:35 PM
  • If none of these ideas works then follow Bill's suggestion about opening a support incident with support.microsoft.com. If you're a subscriber to MSDN you might have some support incidents. Otherwise if the incident is a bug it won't cost you, if not you'd have to pay for the incident.

--
    Ken Slovak
    MVP - Outlook

"Nitrup" <=?utf-8?B?Tml0cnVw?=> wrote in message news:5de1ec4a-b2cc-43e7-b97a-a996a2910fc8...

ken,

i thought of doing that as well. but i would like to open up inspector for a specific condition, like when i know time has changed. i can not open inspector evrytime when itemchange event fires, itemchange event sometime fires due to some other reason as well.

that means i need something which gives me an indication, item has been changed due to time, but that should be before itemchange event fires

well, while writing this reply, i think i can try BeforeItemMove. let see if that can give me something.

Thanks

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Thursday, February 16, 2012 9:43 PM