none
Using Xbox Kinect with lastest Kinect SDK RRS feed

• Question

• I am wondering if anyone has had success with using an Xbox Kinect instead of Kinect for Windows with the most recent version of the Kinect SDK (i.e. 1.7). I installed the SDK, and Windows definitely recognizes the device - I can see the Kinect devices in the Device Manager and was able to use the audio array of the Kinect for speech recognition on the machine. My issue comes when attempting to develop against the SDK with the device.

The basic checks for the Kinect device in code are are not picking up the device.
    KinectSensor.KinectSensors.Count() returns 0 devices.

I feel like, since the drivers for the device are obviously working, something in the SDK must not like the Xbox version of the Kinect, but I'd love to know definitively since Microsoft just gives a vague answer about the Xbox Kinect "not being intended for use with the SDK" but some folks say it should work fine. So, anyone have the same problem or am I just missing something?

Wes Akers

Monday, May 6, 2013 6:02 AM

Answers

• That is correct, http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj663795.aspx

Only the Kinect for Windows sensor will work on a virtual machine. Kinect for Xbox sensors are not supported.

• Proposed as answer by Todd Ferkingstad Tuesday, May 7, 2013 6:03 AM
    • Marked as answer by Wessless Tuesday, May 7, 2013 12:50 PM
    Tuesday, May 7, 2013 5:01 AM

All replies

• I started my development with Xbox 360 sensor and i naver had any problems, i always upgrade to the latest version and i don't get problems.  can you send us a screenshot of your device manager for the kinect section so that we can see what you see , something like this 

Vuyiswa Maseko

Monday, May 6, 2013 8:39 PM
  • Sure. I see the same thing you do. I was doing more research last night, and I think it might be because I'm developing in a Parallels virtual machine. I don't see why that should matter, but there was some documentation suggesting that Kinect for Windows is supported while Kinect for Xbox is not supported in virtual machines.

Wes Akers

• Marked as answer by Wessless Tuesday, May 7, 2013 12:49 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Wessless Tuesday, May 7, 2013 12:50 PM
    Monday, May 6, 2013 9:53 PM
  • That is correct, http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj663795.aspx

Only the Kinect for Windows sensor will work on a virtual machine. Kinect for Xbox sensors are not supported.

• Proposed as answer by Todd Ferkingstad Tuesday, May 7, 2013 6:03 AM
    • Marked as answer by Wessless Tuesday, May 7, 2013 12:50 PM
    Tuesday, May 7, 2013 5:01 AM
  • Thanks. Do you know the technical reason for why it won't work? It seems like it should if the Windows device works. They're not that different.

Wes Akers

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 12:53 PM