Active Directory and Windows Logins RRS feed

• Question

• User1901288517 posted

Hi.

I am trying to write an application that creates user accounts in another system, based on user accounts in AD.

The second application must have account logins that are the same as those used by Windows, so if you login to Windows as joe.bloggs then the second application must have logins that are the same.

Originally, I used the userPrincipalName field, but then we found that some Windows systems used the CN field as the login name. Now I find that some systems use the sAMAccountName field as the login.

Is there some way of determining which field is being used by a particular system as the one you use to login to Windows?

I don't know enough about setting up Windows with AD to know if you can select what field you use as the NT login.

Is there a selection of fields that can be used, and if so what are they?

Cheers.

Thursday, September 3, 2009 5:08 AM

All replies

• User1901288517 posted

I found some information that suggests that only userPrincipalName or sAMAccountName can be used as user logins for Windows.

Thats would mean that someone saying they use CN as the login field is a red herring?

Can anyone confirm that these two fields are the only ones recognised as user logins?

Thursday, September 3, 2009 9:23 AM
  • User-2009597737 posted

Login means where a user typed his/her Id/userId/Login.

If the above is the case, It is usually the samAccountName that is used for login. It will be interesting if a user has to type the complete CN to "login".

what is red herring ?

Friday, September 4, 2009 3:31 PM