none
Computer Locks Up On NuiInitialize RRS feed

• Question

• I got the Kinect SDK installed successfully and I'm having problems trying to get either of the demos running or any code from the samples. As soon as I try to start anything, my entire computer locks up (freezes entirely, requiring a reboot) before showing any images from the Kinect.

I wasn't sure if there was something extra in the demos causing failure (possible DirectX drivers, etc) so I set up a bare bones C++ console project with NuiInitialize(), NuiShutdown(), and some printf()'s in between for display. The only output from the project was this:

-----

Initializing Kinect...

Attempting to open \\?\USB#VID_045E&PID_02AE#A00362A00966110A#{00873FDF-61A8-11D1-EF5E-00C04F2D728B}\00

(and then it crashed without printing any output from the shutdown command)

My setup:

The Kinect is currently being run through a usb cat5 extender (I'm not sure how long it is, it's being run through the wall of the room)

My machine is a fairly standard Windows 7 64-bit Lenovo T410 with an Nvidia NVS 3100M.

No other USB devices plugged in with the Kinect during these tests. Tried the Kinect on every USB port on the machine without different results.

Oh, and the Audio Controller fails to start when the controller's plugged in, but not sure if this is a related problem.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 3:08 PM

Answers

All replies

• It seems a safe assumption, given your experience, you're going to have to get that audio device running. All three devices under Microsoft Kinect in the device manager have to be operational. The audio device also appears under Sound, video and game controllers so you might start there looking for potentially conflicting devices. I had a similar problem using two Kinects with the camera. There moving them to seperate controllers resolved the problem. Here I don't know, but it's a place to start. Likely the only message is failed to start or something which isn't real helpful. Personally, the device manager is somewhere Windows could use some improvement to give you a better view of the overall system rather than just devices in isolation.

Thursday, July 14, 2011 12:08 AM
  • we've done some driver fixes that might help with this issue.... We are preparing a Beta refresh in the near future.
    Thursday, July 14, 2011 3:51 AM