none
Can BizTalk 2016 be hosted in PAAS RRS feed

• Question

• Hello folks,

Does anyone know if BizTalk 2016 can be hosted in PAAS (Platform As A Service) in Azure?

Christiane

Tuesday, January 9, 2018 2:45 PM

Answers

• PAAS is defined as 

Platform as a Service (PaaS) or application platform as a Service (aPaaS) or platform base service is a category of cloud computing services that provides a platform allowing customers to develop, run, and manage applications without the complexity of building and maintaining the infrastructure typically associated with developing and launching an app

while IAAS is defined as 

Infrastructure as a service (IaaS) refers to online services that provide high-level APIs used to dereference various low-level details of underlying network infrastructure like physical computing resources, location, data partitioning, scaling, security, backup etc.

So PAAS is designed to be used when you do not want to worry about the Infrastructure of the Platform on which you want your applications to be developed/hosted. 

While in case of IAAS you are specifically getting the infrastructure services from the provider and then you do your developement/hosting on this environment.

Now in case of IAAS maintaining the infrastructure( meaning the windows patching, upgrades, installation of software) etc, falls with you. 

While in case of PAAS you do not need to worry about these things.

Now if we apply this logic to the BizTalk product as a whole:

BizTalk depends heavily upon the SQL server ( Databases, Jobs etc) now these are tweaked as per the requirement of the environment ( meaning different load balancing/clustering strategies) hence BizTalk can be used as IAAS in cloud.

Now for BizTalk to be used as PAAS you might not want to worry about the platform which simply is not possible as regular maintenance and health check ups are required for BizTalk.

The closest you get to BizTalk being PAAS are the Logic apps in Azure where you host your workflows on Azure and do not worry about the maintanance of the platform.

So the answer to your query is that BizTalk as a whole has to be IAAS in cloud.

Mandar Dharmadhikari

• Marked as answer by Christiane0696 Wednesday, January 10, 2018 6:25 PM
    Wednesday, January 10, 2018 3:21 AM
  • Hi,

PAAS means platform as service were you do not need to bother about hardware and software requirement and scaling .

In case of BizTalk you need to install and maintain the server in Azure or on-premise .If you host BizTalk on Azure it is same has server hosted on cloud and still you need to  out daily BizTalk maintenance task like checking BizTalk Jobs , BizTalk health etc .

If this answers your question please mark it accordingly. If this post is helpful, please vote as helpful by clicking the upward arrow mark next to my reply

• Marked as answer by Christiane0696 Wednesday, January 10, 2018 6:26 PM
    Tuesday, January 9, 2018 8:53 PM
  • Rachit, 
    I know I can host BizTalk in Azure but the question is can it be hosted as PAAS ?

Christiane

Hi Christiane,

In the case of BizTalk running on Azure VM's there is no difference so you're good to go already.

In fact, IAAS vs PAAS aren't actually things on Azure, just concepts which are almost equally applicable to what you and many of us are already doing.

Wednesday, January 10, 2018 12:34 PM

All replies

• BizTalk Server 2016 is fully supported running in an Azure VM, as is SQL Server.
    Tuesday, January 9, 2018 6:13 PM
  • Tuesday, January 9, 2018 7:45 PM
  • I think my question is not that clear.
    I currently have BizTalk 2010 in an Azure environment specifically it is hosted as IAAS (Infrastructure As A Service). My question is that if I want to upgrade in the future my BizTalk environment from BizTalk 2010 IAAS to BizTalk 2016 PAAS (Platform As A Service). Will that be possible?

Christiane

Tuesday, January 9, 2018 8:29 PM
  • Rachit, 
    I know I can host BizTalk in Azure but the question is can it be hosted as PAAS ?

Christiane

Tuesday, January 9, 2018 8:29 PM
  • Hi,

PAAS means platform as service were you do not need to bother about hardware and software requirement and scaling .

In case of BizTalk you need to install and maintain the server in Azure or on-premise .If you host BizTalk on Azure it is same has server hosted on cloud and still you need to  out daily BizTalk maintenance task like checking BizTalk Jobs , BizTalk health etc .

If this answers your question please mark it accordingly. If this post is helpful, please vote as helpful by clicking the upward arrow mark next to my reply

• Marked as answer by Christiane0696 Wednesday, January 10, 2018 6:26 PM
    Tuesday, January 9, 2018 8:53 PM
  • PAAS is defined as 

Platform as a Service (PaaS) or application platform as a Service (aPaaS) or platform base service is a category of cloud computing services that provides a platform allowing customers to develop, run, and manage applications without the complexity of building and maintaining the infrastructure typically associated with developing and launching an app

while IAAS is defined as 

Infrastructure as a service (IaaS) refers to online services that provide high-level APIs used to dereference various low-level details of underlying network infrastructure like physical computing resources, location, data partitioning, scaling, security, backup etc.

So PAAS is designed to be used when you do not want to worry about the Infrastructure of the Platform on which you want your applications to be developed/hosted. 

While in case of IAAS you are specifically getting the infrastructure services from the provider and then you do your developement/hosting on this environment.

Now in case of IAAS maintaining the infrastructure( meaning the windows patching, upgrades, installation of software) etc, falls with you. 

While in case of PAAS you do not need to worry about these things.

Now if we apply this logic to the BizTalk product as a whole:

BizTalk depends heavily upon the SQL server ( Databases, Jobs etc) now these are tweaked as per the requirement of the environment ( meaning different load balancing/clustering strategies) hence BizTalk can be used as IAAS in cloud.

Now for BizTalk to be used as PAAS you might not want to worry about the platform which simply is not possible as regular maintenance and health check ups are required for BizTalk.

The closest you get to BizTalk being PAAS are the Logic apps in Azure where you host your workflows on Azure and do not worry about the maintanance of the platform.

So the answer to your query is that BizTalk as a whole has to be IAAS in cloud.

Mandar Dharmadhikari

Wednesday, January 10, 2018 3:21 AM
  • That was really very well explained Mandar.

Thanks,

• Edited by Faisal Wednesday, January 10, 2018 7:43 AM
    Wednesday, January 10, 2018 7:43 AM
  • Rachit, 

Christiane

Hi Christiane,

In the case of BizTalk running on Azure VM's there is no difference so you're good to go already.

In fact, IAAS vs PAAS aren't actually things on Azure, just concepts which are almost equally applicable to what you and many of us are already doing.

Wednesday, January 10, 2018 12:34 PM
  • Mandar you are a champ. Bravo :)

Christiane

Wednesday, January 10, 2018 6:26 PM
  • Azure BizTalk Services (MABS) will be retired ultimo may 2018
    Only option is a full stack on VM as suggested

/Peter

Sunday, January 14, 2018 6:47 PM