none
.net 3.5 cant install on server 2012 tried all options RRS feed

• Question

• helloo,

i have a 2012 server , and i need .net 3.5 for sql server 2008 installation.

but i have tried every option like  change the resource for the add server rol, , via power shel, via dism.

but install of .net 3.5 keeps failing.

is there any other option to install it?

.net 4.5 is already installed.

i hope somebody can help me.

Grt.Michel

Tuesday, July 8, 2014 2:13 PM

Answers

• Finally i was able to install .net 3.5.

i have cleaned up all temp files and directies.

made a copy of the sources\sxs folder from another install disk, and placed it on the disk

with powershell executed the command:

Add-WindowsFeature Net-Framework-Core -source d:\sxs\

without the end "\" it didnt work.

Barry, thx for your reply

• Marked as answer by mlg_vl Wednesday, July 9, 2014 12:11 PM
    Wednesday, July 9, 2014 12:11 PM

All replies

• Hello Grt.Michel,

I build a new server and saw .NET 3.5 is actually a feature of Windows Server 2012.

Do you have the right to enable it from your feature list?

Actually since it is a feature embedded in Server 2012, if you failed to enable this feature, you have to

1. Check your ISO disk and make sure it is healthy.

2. Insert that disk and then try the right dism command.

There are problems for us who read your post:

1. We cannot be sure your disk is healthy, you'd better use some tool to verify your iso checksum

2. We don't know the powershell command and also the dism command you used, you'd better share it.

In general, I would recommend you consider it is a OS related problem and a Windows Server General forum may better for your case and you can get more detailed troubleshooting guide there.

Regards,

Barry
    We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, July 9, 2014 5:47 AM
  • Hi Barry i have tried the follwing PS commands

Add-WindowsFeature NET-Framework-Core -Source D:\sources\sxs

and via dism:

dism.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /Source:D:\sources\sxs /LimitAccess"

via gui add server roles:

default and with alternative source point to cd drive

even cleaned up temp files:

C:\Users\%Username%\AppData\Local\Temp\

c:\windows\temp

but it keeps failing

PS error :

PS C:\Windows\system32> Add-WindowsFeature NET-Framework-Core -Source D:\ICT beheer\CD Win2012SrvSTD\sources\sxs
    Install-WindowsFeature : A positional parameter cannot be found that accepts argument 'beheer\CD'.
    At line:1 char:1
    + Add-WindowsFeature NET-Framework-Core -Source D:\ICT beheer\CD Win2012SrvSTD\sou ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (:) [Install-WindowsFeature], ParameterBindingException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : PositionalParameterNotFound,Microsoft.Windows.ServerManager.Commands.AddWindowsFeatureCo
       mmand

PS C:\Windows\system32> Add-WindowsFeature NET-Framework-Core -Source "D:\ICT beheer\CD Win2012SrvSTD\sources\sxs"
    Add-WindowsFeature : De aanvraag voor het toevoegen of verwijderen van functies op de opgegeven server is mislukt.
    De installatie van een of meer functies, functieservices of onderdelen is mislukt.
    The source files could not be downloaded.
    Use the "source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more informa
    tion on specifying a source location, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243077. Fout: 0x800f0906
    At line:1 char:1
    + Add-WindowsFeature NET-Framework-Core -Source "D:\ICT beheer\CD Win2012SrvSTD\so ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (@{Vhd=; Credent...Name=localhost}:PSObject) [Install-WindowsFeature],
        Exception
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : DISMAPI_Error__Cbs_Download_Failure,Microsoft.Windows.ServerManager.Commands.AddWindowsF
       eatureCommand

Success Restart Needed Exit Code      Feature Result
    ------- -------------- ---------      --------------
    False   No             Failed         {}

gr,Michel

<o:p></o:p>

• Edited by mlg_vl Wednesday, July 9, 2014 10:40 AM
    Wednesday, July 9, 2014 10:35 AM
  • Finally i was able to install .net 3.5.

i have cleaned up all temp files and directies.

made a copy of the sources\sxs folder from another install disk, and placed it on the disk

with powershell executed the command:

Add-WindowsFeature Net-Framework-Core -source d:\sxs\

without the end "\" it didnt work.

Barry, thx for your reply

• Marked as answer by mlg_vl Wednesday, July 9, 2014 12:11 PM
    Wednesday, July 9, 2014 12:11 PM
  • Glad to know it can be installed on your OS now.

Best regards,

Barry
    We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, July 10, 2014 1:31 AM