none
VM backups...Windows backup, BES hyper-agent, BES Windows Agent, or DPM RRS feed

• Question

• I have a single server with 2 VM's running server 2008 and a limited budget that allows me to purchase either the hyper-v backup agent for backup exec to backup all vm's or 1 agent for each vm that backs up from within the vm, or maybe DPM but I am not sure if $1,800 is enough.

VM1 - Runs Server 2008 standard R2 with AD and File sharing

VM2-Runs Server 2008 standard R2 with SQL server 2008 standard

Option 1 - BES Hyper-V aqent that backs up all VMs running on the host.  Will then use Windows backup and SQL maintenance plans to backup from within each VM. Problem is

Option 2- Active Directory agent/Windows Agent for VM1 and SQL agent/Windows agent for VM2. These agents include functionality to do a complete backup from with the VM in addition to AD/SQL backups and granular restores. Then, ensure each VM is on a different volume and create a Windows backup job on the host that will backup each VM. 

Option 3 - DPM??  Backup Exec with agents will cost $1800 maybe DPM is a possibility but I know very little about it.  I have no other server so it would have to be installed on the hyper-v host. 

I'm not sure there is any right or wrong answer but I would appreciate hearing your thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 1:32 PM