none
Error installing VS 2015

Question

• When I try and install Visual Studio 2015 I get the following error:

Microsoft .Net framework 4.7.1 Developer Pack:  Illegal operation attempted on a registry key that has been marked for deletion

• Edited by dtauzell Friday, November 04, 2016 4:09 PM
    Friday, November 04, 2016 4:08 PM

All replies

• Did you try to reboot your PC before trying to install it again?

Also, you can collect information during setup and share with us so we can check the error with more detail: http://aka.ms/vscollect

If you found this post helpful, please "Vote as Helpful". If it actually answered your question, remember to "Mark as Answer".

Se achou este post útil, por favor clique em "Votar como útil". Se por acaso respondeu sua dúvida, lembre de "Marcar como Resposta".

Friday, November 04, 2016 4:37 PM
  • Thanks,

A restart didn't help.  I ran the collect utillity. Is there a way to attach files to these posts or do I need to put it on some public cloud?

-Dave

Friday, November 04, 2016 8:08 PM
  • Dave,

A restart will likely take care of it. Would you mind trying something for us?

• Shutdown your machine
    • After 1 minutes, start it
    • Mount your ISO and run setup.exe "as administrator"

Please let us know.

Thanks,

My Technet Articles

If you like this or another reply, vote it up!
    If you think this or another reply answers the original question, mark it or propose it as an answer.

Mauricio Feijo
    www.mauriciofeijo.com

Friday, November 04, 2016 8:43 PM
  • Hi Dave,

>>Is there a way to attach files to these posts or do I need to put it on some public cloud?

Please upload the file to https://onedrive.live.com/ and share the link here.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 07, 2016 2:39 AM
  • Hi Dave,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

Have you tried the method that provided by Mauricio Feijo, what’s the result?

For the error message “Illegal operation attempted on a registry key that has been marked for deletion”, you can also have a try with the following:

1. Resetting the app pool
    2. Disable the related Windows User Profile Service feature. To do this, follow these steps:
      • Open the Group Policy editor (Gpedit.msc) on the affected server.
      • Open the UserProfiles folder in the path: Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > UserProfiles
      • Locate the Do not forcefully unload the user registry at user logoff setting.
      • Change the setting to Enabled.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 07, 2016 3:06 AM
  • Hi,

My desktop is actually a VM.  I have used "shutdown /r" to reboot it (did this before and after making the changes to the UserProfiles as you suggested).  I will now upload those logs and see if that sheds any light to anybody.

Thanks all, for continuing to help out.

-Dave

Monday, November 07, 2016 3:12 PM
  • Here are the logs produced by the "vscollect" application:  https://1drv.ms/u/s!AuzeSeYq-gxAgjT2fO2_KZLstN8W

-Dave

Monday, November 07, 2016 3:14 PM
  • Hi Dave,

Thank you for your update.

I found you tried to install VS enterprise 2015 with update 3 before, have you uninstall completely? I recommend you perform a complete uninstall of VS enterprise/professional 2015 with update 3 like the following, then reinstall VS professional 2015 with update 3 using a healthy ISO file.

Before the next installation, please perform a complete uninstall of the existing VS 2015 as below, then reboot your computer. Make sure windows update is up-to-date, temporarily disable any anti-virus software, clean up the %temp% folder and run the installer as administrator.

You can try to use the forcibly command as described in here, after run the command, you can also try to manually removed the related folders and registry keys as below:

1. Rename or delete folders-

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0
    • C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0
    • C:\users\user\Documents\Visual Studio 2015
    • C:\users\user\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0
    • C:\users\user\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0
    • C:\users\user\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VSCommon\14.0

2. Go to the registry editor (start >> run >> regedit) and remove/rename the following registries- (Please back up the registry table before the modification)

• HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0
    • HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0
    • HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0_Config

If the issue persists, I need your help to collect the installation logs like you did before.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, November 08, 2016 10:28 AM
  • Hi, I made those change and retried to install just .Net Framework 4.6.1 and it is still failing.  I did that because it is the .Net Framework failure that is stopping the VS 2015 installation.   Should I put a link to the logs here again?

-Dave

Tuesday, November 08, 2016 4:16 PM
  • Hi Dave,

Please collect the latest VS installation logs and share it, thanks.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, November 09, 2016 8:12 AM
  • Here you go:  https://1drv.ms/u/s!AuzeSeYq-gxAgjVyNvaAmpzI72jk
    Wednesday, November 09, 2016 4:26 PM
  • Hi Dave,

I have checked your log file and found the following error message:

>> Error 0x80070002: Failed to move verified file to complete payload path: C:\ProgramData\Package Cache\{A223B446-EC3D-3031-828D-5188800AB782}v4.5.21005\packages\netfx_451mtpackcore\enu\netfx_451mtpackcorelp.cab

[090C:3140][2016-11-09T09:30:48]e000: Error 0x80070002: Failed to cache payload: cabBFC2F50A49C024053E57A61AC1D5E583

The error code “0x80070002” often means the folder cannot found, please use the .NET Framework setup verification tool to verify the existing of .NET Framework versions and once it found any corrupted, you can use the .NET Framework Repair Tool to repair.

Meanwhile, please verify the integrity of your ISO file. You can use the FCIV.exe tool to check the SHA1 value of the ISO, the expected value comes from VS 2015 SHA-1 Value, any discrepancy means the ISO is corrupted.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support

Thursday, November 10, 2016 9:16 AM
  • I verified the ISO and it has the correct SHA-1 hash.  I ran the verification and it says what I have installed is ok.  I tried installing just .Net 4.6.1 and that is failing with the same error message.

Wednesday, November 16, 2016 4:25 PM
  • Hi Dave,

Please try to install the Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.2 Developer Pack and if the issue persists, please have a try with the following to eliminate the possibility factors and troubleshot this issue:

1. please try to run the sfc /scannow in the elevated command prompt to repair missing or corrupted system files once it found.
    1. Use process monitor to analyze the registry modify problem. To fix this issue, if the key is previous registered by some old .NET Framework version, please repair your old .NET Framework from control panel. If the key is actually related to .NET Framework 4.6.1/2, you may need to re-download your package to repair the key.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support

Thursday, November 17, 2016 7:38 AM