Generic trust failure when installing .net 4 for Expression Studio 4 Ultimate RRS feed

• Question

• I have MS Expression Studio 3 installed on my Windows XP machine with all current updates installed. I am trying to add the trial/upgrade to Expression Studio 4 Ultimate. Exp Studio 4 downloads just fine and starts to install, but then tells me that I need .net 4 first. If I respond "no" because .net 4 plus KB2478663 and KB2518870 are already on my machine, the Exp Studio 4 install just stops. If I respond "yes" I am taken to download the .net 4 and it tries to install but ends with an error message "generic trust failure." 

I have tried this with and without my security software, I have changed from Zone Alarm to Microsoft Security Essentials. I have even uninstalled .net completely and then reinstalled all versions of it. I uninstalled Expression Studio 3 and reinstalled it. Exchanged numerous e-mails with Microsoft support trying suggested fixes, but no luck.

I have completed this same installation successfully on my laptop, also running Windows XP.

Help! Maybe I'll just go back to my old version of FrontPage!

The Computer Lady
    Tuesday, August 2, 2011 1:24 AM

Answers

• Got it to work. I looked over the suggestions in the MSDN conversation, but I really think this is a failure of the Expressions message. What worked for me was to install the FULL version of .net which included .net framework extended as well as the client profile.

I found my solution by looking at what was installed on my other XP machine and going to MS to find the full version. I also installed all this with my security software turned off.

Thanks for your suggestions, they gave me places to look for ideas.

The Computer Lady
    Thursday, August 4, 2011 4:36 PM

All replies

• You may want to ask this in the MSDN forums since your issue is specifically related to your .NET Framework install and not Expression Studio. However, this thread may resolve your issue.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/netfxsetup/thread/2107384c-e030-48d9-9e4d-02537bf3b755

Jim Cheshire -- Microsoft
    Thursday, August 4, 2011 1:24 PM
  • Got it to work. I looked over the suggestions in the MSDN conversation, but I really think this is a failure of the Expressions message. What worked for me was to install the FULL version of .net which included .net framework extended as well as the client profile.

I found my solution by looking at what was installed on my other XP machine and going to MS to find the full version. I also installed all this with my security software turned off.

Thanks for your suggestions, they gave me places to look for ideas.

The Computer Lady
    Thursday, August 4, 2011 4:36 PM