Tablet for non-tablet PC's RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,
    I am developing in an environment where there will be an equal mix of tablet and non-tablet PC's.  I want to use the Ink API, but getting it to work on non-tablet PC's requires installing the tablet PC SDK. 

I have two questions:

1.  Will .NET 3.0 enable all PC's regardless if they are tablet or not to run tablet ready applications?

2.  Is there anything small and simple users can install to make use of tablet ready applications other than the entire SDK?

Thanks,

Jon Hatalla
    Tuesday, July 18, 2006 12:28 PM

Answers

• Hi Jon,

I don't know the answer to question 1. However, for question 2, you should be able to redistribute the Tablet MSM and use your Tablet-ready apps on client PCs even if they aren't Tablets.

From the Tablet 1.7 SDK:

Creating a Redistributable Setup

Introduction to creating a redistributable setup.

To distribute an ink-enabled application to computers that are not running Microsoft® Windows® XP Tablet PC Edition (that is, computers running Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, or Windows 2000) you must include the necessary merge modules in your setup.

Hope this helps,
    --Hilton Locke

Tuesday, July 25, 2006 5:18 PM

All replies

• Hi Jon,

I don't know the answer to question 1. However, for question 2, you should be able to redistribute the Tablet MSM and use your Tablet-ready apps on client PCs even if they aren't Tablets.

From the Tablet 1.7 SDK:

Creating a Redistributable Setup

Introduction to creating a redistributable setup.

To distribute an ink-enabled application to computers that are not running Microsoft® Windows® XP Tablet PC Edition (that is, computers running Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, or Windows 2000) you must include the necessary merge modules in your setup.

Hope this helps,
    --Hilton Locke

Tuesday, July 25, 2006 5:18 PM
  • edit: Started new thread

Thursday, January 31, 2008 7:49 PM
  • Regarding question 1:

Yes, the Ink API in WPF (.NET 3.0) is available on any computer configuration where .NET 3.0 is installed.

Thanks!

Saturday, February 2, 2008 1:35 PM