Storing Highscores for games in WIndows Store 8 apps in Visual Studio 2012.

Question

• I am developing a windows store 8 game in VISUAL STUDIO 2012.

I want to store the high scores (of course in a sorted manner) locally.

Please give a step by step instruction for doing so.

Again, for Visual Studio 2012.

Thanks and Regards!

Friday, March 07, 2014 9:49 PM

All replies

• There is nothing built in for this. How exactly you want to do this will depend on your exact scenario.

A more interesting case is to store high scores in the cloud so you can compare the scores from different users. There are several pre-built high score services you can use or you can write your own in something like Windows Azure Mobile Services.

Microsoft's Nick Harris has a sample Create a Game Leaderboard using Windows Azure Mobile Services you might want to look at which demonstrates this. The basic idea for the actual service will be the same for a Windows 8 app as for a Windows 8.1 app, but you'll probably need to rebuild the skeleton around it.

--Rob

Friday, March 07, 2014 9:52 PM
    Owner
  • Thank You Rob for such a quick answer!

However i want to take the high score's gradually. i .e i want to take the scores in for the local users.Just like any other game like (snakes) etc. where the local users appear on the leader board and then,

The top scorer among each app-owner is compared on Azure and the latest scores displayed.

The Azure part can be done by the link cited above (Thank You once again!) .

Unfortunately i am stuck at the local part.

I have been able to create a file and store only 1 score(that too the latest one) using the steps given here

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh700361.aspx

Please tell if something can be done to append data to once created file and also,sort it!

Thanks For your patience to read such a long reply!

Friday, March 07, 2014 10:01 PM