Unflatten PowerPivot? RRS feed

• Question

• When ever I create a new Powerpivot from an AS cube, PowerPivot shows the data only in flattened PowerPivot format. How can I get back to traditional hierarchy dimensional view in Pivot table.
    Wednesday, June 17, 2015 9:09 PM

Answers

• Is the comment string pictured below along the lines of what you're talking about?

The picture below comes from this post.

• Proposed as answer by Michael Amadi Friday, June 19, 2015 7:48 PM
    • Marked as answer by Charlie Liao Monday, June 29, 2015 3:23 AM
    Friday, June 19, 2015 3:49 PM

All replies

• In PowerPivot 1 Query = 1 Table. So if you want multiple tables, you need to build multiple queries.

But I would suggest going back to the same source database that SSAS is using if you can. SSAS is an aggregation engine, it's really good at doing "group by" style queries, it's not so good at providing low level data extracts.

http://darren.gosbell.com - please mark correct answers

Wednesday, June 17, 2015 9:25 PM
  • Sorry, maybe I didn't articulate my issue correctly. The AS cube displays the dimension properly when connected to Pivot table directly or in other reporting tables however when I create a PowerPivot, the data is displayed as a single list with not dimension or hierarchies.   At one point, it was displaying the dimensions correctly.  I had created a new PowerPivot with an flattened Pivot table and side by side reports and ever since then ALL of my new PowerPivots (with ANY cube) are display flat without dimensions.  Is the PowerPivot setting that need to be updated?

Thanks,

Thursday, June 18, 2015 12:47 PM
  • Yeah, I'm not sure what you are talking about here, but it does not sound like it's PowerPivot.

PowerPivot is also known as the "Data Model" in Excel 2013. It is an in-memory cube technology that was the pre-cursor to the SSAS Tabular mode that was introduce in SQL 2012. You load data into a PowerPivot model and then you can connect Pivot tables to that model and it behaves pretty much the same as a Pivot Table connected to a SSAS server. This is what I assumed you were talking about. 

Are you possibly just talking about plain Excel Pivot Tables? Is it possible to post a screen shot that shows us your issue?

http://darren.gosbell.com - please mark correct answers

Thursday, June 18, 2015 1:06 PM
  • Is the comment string pictured below along the lines of what you're talking about?

The picture below comes from this post.

• Proposed as answer by Michael Amadi Friday, June 19, 2015 7:48 PM
    • Marked as answer by Charlie Liao Monday, June 29, 2015 3:23 AM
    Friday, June 19, 2015 3:49 PM
  • Yes, similar.  Thanks for the information. I understand better and believe I can implement the PowerView reporting using a BISM Connection instead of the way I currently have it configured as straight SSAS connection. 

Thanks!

Friday, June 19, 2015 5:46 PM