none
Implementing DirectX8 and DirectSound8 in VS2017 VB.net RRS feed

• Question

• I am attempting to port a VB6 program into VB.net environment.  The VS2017 VB.net Intellisense reports that 'DirectX8', 'DirectSound8', and various other DirectSound objects are not defined when I put the following code into vb.net.  All objects in the following code segment are noted to be 'not defined'.

'Define DirectX Objects
        Dim dx As New DirectX8                          'DirectX object
        Dim ds As DirectSound8                          'DirectSound object
        Dim dspb As DirectSoundPrimaryBuffer8           'Primary buffer object
        Dim dsc As DirectSoundCapture8                  'Capture object
        Dim dsb As DirectSoundSecondaryBuffer8          'Output Buffer object
        Dim dscb As DirectSoundCaptureBuffer8           'Capture Buffer object

'Define Type Definitions
        Dim dscbd As DSCBUFFERDESC                      'Capture buffer description
        Dim dsbd As DSBUFFERDESC                        'DirectSound buffer description
        Dim dspbd As WAVEFORMATEX                       'Primary buffer description
        Dim PlayCursor As DSCURSORS                     'DirectSound Play Cursor

I assume that I need to import an appropriate library that will include these definitions, but I don't find any obviously applicable libraries in the VS2017 VB.net References lists.

The program that I am attempting to port into VB.net sends and receives sound from a computer to a remote radio via Ethernet.  The Ethernet encoded sound is converted to/from analog sound in the computer via the DirectSound protocols.  This works very well in the compiled VB6.

How does one get VB.net to recognize DirectSound object definitions?

Bob,
    bobgn1@cox.net

Bob Goodwin

Monday, June 5, 2017 1:56 AM

All replies