none
How can I force my web site to download fresh pages RRS feed

• Question

• I tried the meta Refresh but now when I am looking at the pages I keep seeing it refreshing. I would like it to go to the server when first opening and getting the fresh copy.
    DET
    Friday, January 20, 2012 10:47 PM

Answers

• After doing some research I found that the meta cache control will do the trick.

<meta http-equiv="cache-control" content=""no-cache"/>

DET
    • Marked as answer by DocTaylor Saturday, January 21, 2012 1:52 AM
    Saturday, January 21, 2012 1:52 AM

All replies

• It is a browser function - in IE9 use Tools->internet Options
    Click Browsing History - Settings button
    Select "Every time I visit the web page"
    Click OK, OK.  Other versions of IE are similar.

"I tried the meta Refresh but now when I am looking at the pages I keep seeing it refreshing"

This will happen if you use meta refresh.

Ron Symonds
    Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)

www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp
    Friday, January 20, 2012 11:03 PM
  • After doing some research I found that the meta cache control will do the trick.

<meta http-equiv="cache-control" content=""no-cache"/>

DET
    • Marked as answer by DocTaylor Saturday, January 21, 2012 1:52 AM
    Saturday, January 21, 2012 1:52 AM
  • Vegan,

Well the OP doesn't have to use HTML5. 

• Edited by KathyW2 Saturday, January 21, 2012 3:24 PM
    Saturday, January 21, 2012 3:24 PM
  • Vegan,

Until HTML5 is final, you dont' know what will remain deprecated.  HTML 5 added back some things that were deprecated in XHTML/HTML4.  And, who knows what HTML 6 will include some day.

It's not something to worry about.  Just use markup consistent with the doctype the site has now.

Saturday, January 21, 2012 3:37 PM
  • Standards have been all over the dial. DOCTYPE seems the most viable solution.

I simply like to keep people aware of the standards and the shifting sands they bring

Yeah, they've been all over the dial. HTML 4.01 was approved Dec. 24, 1999. We're still waiting for HTML5. Really rapidly shifting sands, there...

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.
    Sunday, January 22, 2012 1:22 AM
  • Well of course it rendered okay with no DOCTYPE. The browser went into quirks mode due to the lack of a DOCTYPE and what was probably a fairly simple page rendered okay. That's the way it works. Quirks mode is very forgiving.

I don't know how you can say that the standards have been all over the dial. You're just learning this stuff, with the help of people in this forum. That's a statement of someone who doesn't understand the issue and is looking for an excuse. But if anyone would know about being all over the dial...

Comic Sans walks into a bar. The bartender says, "Get out! We don't serve your type."
    Sunday, January 22, 2012 4:25 AM