none
Installing SQL Server 2005 on Windows Web Server 2008 RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to install SQL Server 2005 on Windows Web Server 2008 but I am only able to install client services and books online. Everything else is greyed out. I initially had the usual "IIS not installed" error but I resolved that with a KB article. Now I have 2 more warning messages that I cannot resolve.

1. SQL Server Edition Operating System Compatibility (Warning) 

Some components of this edition of SQL Server are not supported on this operating system. For details, see 'Hardware and Software Requirements for Installing SQL Server 2005' in Microsoft SQL Server Books Online.

2. Minimum Hardware Requirement (Warning)

The current system does not meet the recommended hardware requirements for this SQL Server release. For detailed hardware and software requirements, see the readme file or SQL Server Books Online.

My hardware is fairly new. AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ 2.20 Ghz and 2 GB of RAM

This is a straight forward desktop workstation that I am creating as a proof of concept for future development.

Literally the only items installed on the box are...

Windows Web Server 2008

Windows Updates

Added ALL roles for IIS (Enabled and tested)

Enabled ALL features for IIS

Remote Desktop (Enabled and tested)

Windows Firewall is (OFF)

Any ideas?

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 12:39 AM

Answers

• Thank you Saswati

I am well aware that SP2 is required. However, you need to be able to install the database engine before you can apply a service pack. I am not able to do that. I am going to assume that SQL Server 2005 cannot be installed on Windows Web Server 2008 and requires a minimum of Windows Server 2008 Standard.

Thanks anyway!

Bill

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 8:16 PM

All replies

•  

Hi,

SQL Server 2005 requires Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 2 (SP2) to run on Windows Server 2008 and Windows Vista SP1. It has some know compatibility issue with Vista as well as Windows Server 2008.  

Although SQL Server 2005 Express Edition SP1 can be installed on Windows Vista but it has some known issues with User Access Control. Service Pack 2 is the recommended patch level for Windows Vista RTM support. SQL Server 2005 Express Edition (SQL Server Express) SP2 can be used to install a new instance of SQL Server Express SP2.

Earlier versions of SQL Server, including SQL Server 2000 (all editions including Desktop Engine edition, a.k.a. MSDE), SQL Server 7.0, and SQL Server 6.5 are not supported on Windows Server 2008 or Windows Vista. Customers running applications with these earlier versions of SQL Server should consider evaluating and upgrading to SQL Server 2005, which was designed to take advantage of the upcoming security and performance enhancements in the operating environment.

You may like to see the links below:

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/howtobuy/windowsvistasupport.mspx

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143516.aspx

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143506.aspx

Thanks

Saswati

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 7:55 PM
  • Thank you Saswati

I am well aware that SP2 is required. However, you need to be able to install the database engine before you can apply a service pack. I am not able to do that. I am going to assume that SQL Server 2005 cannot be installed on Windows Web Server 2008 and requires a minimum of Windows Server 2008 Standard.

Thanks anyway!

Bill

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 8:16 PM
  •  

Hi Bill,

You may like to take a look at the link below -

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950636

Hope the above helps.

Thanks

Saswati

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 2:54 PM
  •  

Hey Saswati,

Thanks for pointing that out. I was able to get the hotfix by calling Microsoft, so it did allow me to install SQL 2005 on Windows 2008 Web Server, but now when I try to install the service package I get an error:

"Windows cannot open this program because the license enforcement system has been tampered with or become corrupted"

If anyone gets this resolved, please let me know. Kinda wierd that they would not have tested this, seeing that it is the only retail version of SQL available for Windows 2008 and I understand it affects Windows 2008 Web Server, but still, pretty big deal.
    Friday, April 11, 2008 6:29 AM
  • Hi,

It looks somewhat unusual for me as lot of other MS partners are using this HotFix and so far not complained such issue. It seems you need to work with PSS directly to address beyond this point.

However let me try and find further help for you.  For that, can I have your contact details (email and contact no.)?  If you are Microsoft partner can you also provide your partner Id?

Please provide the above details, if you want me assist further on this issue.

Thanks

Saswati

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 5:40 PM
  •  

I was able to talk to support at Microsoft, they did not know why it does that, but figured out a work around, so if you run the service pack 2 from a command prompt it would run OK and I was able to install service pack 2.
    Tuesday, April 15, 2008 11:08 PM