none
Issues with Installing SQL Server 2016 Express

Question

• I decided to install SQL Server 2016 Advanced Services on my laptop.  My laptop currently has 2008R2 (Express) installed, and had SS2012 and SS2014.  I believe the 2012 and 2014 versions were originally installed when I installed versions of Visual Studio. Anyway, I used the Control Panel Add/Remove Programs to remove the components of 2012 and 2014 (successfully, or so I thought).

Now when I run through the installation for 2016, it fails.  The error log lists an error message of  SQL Server Database Engine Services Instance Features for several features.  I'm not sure how to remedy the issue.

Thanks.

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 2:07 PM

All replies

• What is the exact error message you are getting?

Can you post the summary text file you can find here or share it on one drive or paste bin?

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\130\Setup Bootstrap\Log

Also find the latest directory in C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\130\Setup Bootstrap\Log and post the detail file.

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 2:19 PM
  • Here are the files on OneDrive.  Thanks for responding.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AtZuiSSlCxSRh15vTLTdRFwHJ2EC

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 2:30 PM
  • Even when I try to install a separate instance, I make it all the way through the installation wizard and I get several messages that installation failed...

Overall summary:
      Final result:                  Failed: see details below
      Exit code (Decimal):           -2147467261
      Start time:                    2017-03-14 12:11:57
      End time:                      2017-03-14 12:36:03
      Requested action:              Install

Setup completed with required actions for features.
    Troubleshooting information for those features:
      Next step for RS:              Use the following information to resolve the error, uninstall this feature, and then run the setup process again.
      Next step for Polybase:        Use the following information to resolve the error, uninstall this feature, and then run the setup process again.
      Next step for SQLEngine:       Use the following information to resolve the error, uninstall this feature, and then run the setup process again.
      Next step for FullText:        Use the following information to resolve the error, uninstall this feature, and then run the setup process again.
      Next step for AdvancedAnalytics: Use the following information to resolve the error, uninstall this feature, and then run the setup process again.
      Next step for Replication:     Use the following information to resolve the error, uninstall this feature, and then run the setup process again.

Detailed results:
      Feature:                       Reporting Services - Native
      Reason for failure:            An error occurred for a dependency of the feature causing the setup process for the feature to fail.
      Next Step:                     Use the following information to resolve the error, uninstall this feature, and then run the setup process again.
      Component name:                SQL Server Database Engine Services Instance Features
      Component error code:          -2147467261
      Error description:             Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
      Error help link:               http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?LinkId=20476&ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&EvtSrc=setup.rll&EvtID=50000&ProdVer=13.0.4202.2&EvtType=0x9C8C9C81%400x44A889F9&EvtType=0x9C8C9C81%400x44A889F9

Feature:                       PolyBase Query Service for External Data
      Reason for failure:            An error occurred for a dependency of the feature causing the setup process for the feature to fail.
      Next Step:                     Use the following information to resolve the error, uninstall this feature, and then run the setup process again.
      Component name:                SQL Server Database Engine Services Instance Features
      Error description:             Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
      Error help link:               http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?LinkId=20476&ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&EvtSrc=setup.rll&EvtID=50000&ProdVer=13.0.4202.2&EvtType=0x9C8C9C81%400x44A889F9&EvtType=0x9C8C9C81%400x44A889F9

Feature:                       Database Engine Services
      Reason for failure:            An error occurred during the setup process of the feature.

Feature:                       Full-Text and Semantic Extractions for Search

Feature:                       R Services (In-Database)

Feature:                       SQL Server Replication

Rules with failures:

Global rules:

Scenario specific rules:

Rules report file:               C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\130\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20170314_121151\SystemConfigurationCheck_Report.htm

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 6:54 PM
  • Reason for failure:   An error occurred for a dependency of the feature causing the setup process for the feature to fail.

If I correctly interpreted the contents of the summary.txt file, there are 4 instances:

• MSSQLSERVER - SQL Server 2008 R2 SP3, Developer edition
    • SQLEXPRESS - SQL Server 2008 SP3, Express edition
    • BRUSCHI - SQL Server 2016 SP1, Developer edition
    • SQLEXPRESS01 - SQL Server 2016 SP1, Express edition

And you are installing a fifth instance (SQLEXPRESS02), using SQL Server 2016 Express SP1.

When you removed SS 2012 and SS 2014, have you removed any of the prerequisites for SS 2016?

Before starting the installation, did you check if the prerequisites were met?

e-mail       José Diz     Belo Horizonte, MG - Brasil

• Edited by José Diz Tuesday, March 14, 2017 7:16 PM
    Tuesday, March 14, 2017 7:01 PM
  • Sorry, I missed part of your reply. There is a chance that in uninstalling one of the prior versions, that I uninstalled one of the dependencies. I have an instance 2008 R2 SQL Express that I use and was trying to install an instance of SQL Server 2016 (Bruschi). I'm not sure if any instances have been installed by an installation of Visual Studio 2015 or 2017. I don't need any other instances and they can be removed.
    Tuesday, March 14, 2017 7:45 PM