Limited access to Access RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to allow access to certain parts of a database, and password protect the rest of the same database?
    Friday, April 15, 2011 6:25 PM

Answers

• You will need to create a user login method to identify the user (and optionally provide a user level value). Then you can test against the current user to enable or disable functionality as needed.

This may need a user table and login form that runs at startup or a system call to windows...

• Marked as answer by Bruce Song Friday, April 29, 2011 5:07 AM
    Monday, April 18, 2011 11:22 PM
  • Take a look at the blog postings at http://www.accesssecurityblog.com/ for some suggestions.
    -Tom. Microsoft Access MVP
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 2:48 PM

All replies

• That really depends on what you mean in more detail. Usually users don't have access to the "database", they interact with a database application through forms and reports. We can certainly restrict what users can do with the forms. Is this your scenario? If not, please elaborate.
    Saturday, April 16, 2011 4:18 AM
  • Here is my scenario...I have a maintenance database built, and I make work orders with it.  I want to be able to allow other people in the plant to have access to one section of it, so they can submit the work order.  But I don't want them to have access to any other part...I.E...editing the work orders, running reports and stuff like that.  Hope this clears it up somewhat...thank you very much for your help!!
    Monday, April 18, 2011 1:43 PM
  • You will need to create a user login method to identify the user (and optionally provide a user level value). Then you can test against the current user to enable or disable functionality as needed.

This may need a user table and login form that runs at startup or a system call to windows...

Monday, April 18, 2011 11:22 PM
  • Take a look at the blog postings at http://www.accesssecurityblog.com/ for some suggestions.
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 2:48 PM