none
Need file access to a file/blob on Azure Storage from an Azure VM (Web App -> Azure Storage -> Azure VM)

Question

• I have an Azure Web App that stores xml files for processing in the Azure Storage (current as file).  I need my Azure VM web service to pickup the files and processes them, returning results and reports, etc.

I can do this under the VM admin account, but when I run as LocalService, I get some sort of Path Not Found error.

Is this possible to do?  I have tried just about everything to move the files and still cannot get it to work.

Tuesday, November 10, 2015 4:52 PM

Answers

• To clarify, you are referring to the local service account on a Windows IaaS VM? Which doesn't work when trying to access an Azure storage account, however when you use the Windows Server admin account it does work?

This account is being bound to a service running in the Windows VM.

My suggestion would be to create new user account on the Windows VM specifically to run this service. 

A standard user account should have a similar level of permissions as the Local Service, however it won't have the same access restrictions external to the VM as the Local Service.

Thursday, November 12, 2015 10:05 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Is there any particular reason you want to use the local service account? Would a new user account (without admin permissions) dedicated to performing this service, meet your requirements?

Donovan

Tuesday, November 10, 2015 8:20 PM
  • From initial research, it looks like Azure doesn't let you do this.  Only issue I have is that a windows service needs to run for this process and ideally the permissions for Local Service seem to work best.  Let me look into adding an additional account to the Web App.  Not even sure if that is possible.
    Tuesday, November 10, 2015 8:51 PM
  • To clarify, you are referring to the local service account on a Windows IaaS VM? Which doesn't work when trying to access an Azure storage account, however when you use the Windows Server admin account it does work?

This account is being bound to a service running in the Windows VM.

My suggestion would be to create new user account on the Windows VM specifically to run this service. 

A standard user account should have a similar level of permissions as the Local Service, however it won't have the same access restrictions external to the VM as the Local Service.

Thursday, November 12, 2015 10:05 AM