Blend fails to open HTML5 project

Question

• Hello

When i create a new HTML5 Metro app in Visual Studio and i open this app in Blend for VS i get a error 

When i create a new HTML5 app in blend, only the solution file is created.

I have VS2010 en VS11 installed.

any idea's.

regards

Dieter

Friday, March 09, 2012 10:00 AM

Answers

• You can set it via a command prompt window: setx VisualStudioVersion 11.0

or if you prefer, you can set it via the UI: in Windows Explorer, right-click Computer, select Properties.  Select Advanced System Settings and then click on the Environment Variables button.  You can add to either the user or machine wide section.

• Marked as answer by Dieterdp Friday, March 09, 2012 6:42 PM
    Friday, March 09, 2012 6:30 PM

All replies

• Just to confirm:

You have Win8 CP + Visual Studio 11 Beta and you are trying to open this on Blend 11 Beta, right?  And then you also have VS 2010 on the machine?

If you set the environment variable VisualStudioVersion to 11.0 on the machine and then restart VS/Blend - does that fix the issue?

Friday, March 09, 2012 3:46 PM
  • I have Win8 CP + VS11 + VS2010, i first installed VS2010 and then VS11 , how can i set the environment variable?
    Friday, March 09, 2012 4:01 PM
  • You can set it via a command prompt window: setx VisualStudioVersion 11.0

or if you prefer, you can set it via the UI: in Windows Explorer, right-click Computer, select Properties.  Select Advanced System Settings and then click on the Environment Variables button.  You can add to either the user or machine wide section.

• Marked as answer by Dieterdp Friday, March 09, 2012 6:42 PM
    Friday, March 09, 2012 6:30 PM
  • thx this works, 

can this brake my VS2010 install?

hmm intellisense in VS2010 is broken??

regards

Dieter

• Edited by Dieterdp Saturday, March 10, 2012 10:01 AM
    Friday, March 09, 2012 6:43 PM
  • If you set it globally on the system, then it is possible that it will cause issues when building in Visual Studio 2010, though it would probably depend on what it is you are building.

If you have issues, or want to avoid that happening, then your best bet would be to just open a command prompt, run 'set VisualStudioVersion=11.0' and then open Visual Studio 11, or Blend 5 from that command prompt.  This will make the setting not global on the machine so as long as you start older Visual Studio/Blend from outside that command prompt it shouldn't be affected by it at all.

~Gearard

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, March 12, 2012 6:29 AM