none
Installing .NET 4.0 broke .NET 2.0 and 1.1 applications RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all

Last night we installed the .NET 4.0 framework on a webserver (Windows Server 2003 R2, IIS 6) that is currently running .NET 2.0 and 1.1. applications. These have been working fine side-by-side for years. Unfortunately after the 4.0 install none of the 2.0 and 1.1 applications would work. We got an http 500 error (resource cannot be found). I checked and the previous versions had not been mistakenly uninstalled. I also checked the application settings in IIS and each app was pointing to the correct version of .NET. All services were also running correctly.

Everything I read prior to the install indicated that .NET 4.0 was "harmless" and installing it should make no difference at all to any applications using previous versions.

I've googled and nothing I found helped, and we are now in the process of uninstalling 4.0 to restore the server back to its original state.

However, we do need to install 4.0 soon, and I was wondering if there's something blindingly obvious I'm missing? When doing a 4.0 install alongside other versions, is there something else that needs to be done to ensure that current applications continue to run?

Thanks in advance.

Julia

JulesB
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 9:51 AM

Answers

• All, it looks like the .NET 4.0 install may have had nothing to do with the problem. There was a Cold Fusion patch installed on the server at the same time. It seems that the web applications configuration settings in IIS were pointing to old versions of CF files that did not exist any more and, even though the web applications have no connection with CF at all, this configuration setting caused the problem. Once we removed the file from the settings all was fine.

Sorry!

Julia

JulesB
    • Marked as answer by JulesB Tuesday, December 13, 2011 10:50 AM
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 10:50 AM

All replies

• All, it looks like the .NET 4.0 install may have had nothing to do with the problem. There was a Cold Fusion patch installed on the server at the same time. It seems that the web applications configuration settings in IIS were pointing to old versions of CF files that did not exist any more and, even though the web applications have no connection with CF at all, this configuration setting caused the problem. Once we removed the file from the settings all was fine.

Sorry!

Julia

JulesB
    • Marked as answer by JulesB Tuesday, December 13, 2011 10:50 AM
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 10:50 AM
  • Hello JulesB,

Thank you for your active participation in the MSDN community. I’m glad to hear that you resolve this issue. And thank you for sharing your solutions and experience here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.

If you have any difficulty in future programming, we welcome you to post here again.

Sincerely,

Helen Zhou [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 4:43 AM