VMs deleted when subscription limit is reached? RRS feed

• Question

• Last week I reached the subscription limit and was therefore not able to run my virtual machines anymore.

I only could confirm to overcome the subscription limit to be able to access my vms again. Before that I had 3 different vms and a dedicated virtual netword in which those vms where running.

After fixing the subscription limit my virtual machines and the virtual netword definition where gone and the vms have been change to cloud services.

Is there a way to get back my VMs and the virtual network or is this lost by design?

Christian O. Metz

Monday, July 30, 2012 6:58 AM

Answers

• -- Or is this just because of the preview stage of the whole setup?

The behavior you noticed is due the free trial you are using NOT the preview nature of Virtual Machines. Early on with Windows Azure trials, a number of people were burnt by unexpected bills so the trials changed to truly free by default (although you can configure the trial to have a non-zero limit). A downside of being truly free is that Microsoft does terminate Virtual Machines when the trial quota is exceeded. However, it does not delete the underlying disks so all is not lost.

Monday, July 30, 2012 7:35 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• The disks underlying the VMs are still in Windows Azure Storage - so you can recreate your previous environment from them. I keep meaning to look into the configuration export/import post by Michael Washam, in which he shows how to preserve a configuration before dropping the VMs.
    Monday, July 30, 2012 7:24 AM
    Answerer
  • That's right. But... is it by design that I cannot rely on my vm definitions. What if I had build up a complete infrastructure for a productive environment.

Again. I have not droped these definitions. This was done by the system itself. Or is this just because of the preview stage of the whole setup?

Christian O. Metz

Monday, July 30, 2012 11:50 AM
  • -- Or is this just because of the preview stage of the whole setup?

The behavior you noticed is due the free trial you are using NOT the preview nature of Virtual Machines. Early on with Windows Azure trials, a number of people were burnt by unexpected bills so the trials changed to truly free by default (although you can configure the trial to have a non-zero limit). A downside of being truly free is that Microsoft does terminate Virtual Machines when the trial quota is exceeded. However, it does not delete the underlying disks so all is not lost.

Monday, July 30, 2012 7:35 PM
    Answerer