none
What APIs are accessible from sensor driver? RRS feed

Answers

• Hi neil,

Architecturally, there are no constraints on using any user mode APIs from an UMDF driver (which is what sensor drivers are). Having said that, I am not really familiar with the APIs you mention so I cannot conclusively say if they would work or not. If you have any specific problems, let us know and we will follow up on them.

Thanks,
    Prasanna
    • Marked as answer by neil.young Friday, October 23, 2009 11:22 AM
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 9:54 PM
    Answerer
  • Neil,

I believe the Native WLAN API should be OK, however WinINet is not officially supported for use in services, which is how the user mode driver runs.  See this article for more details:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/238425

Instead, it is recommended that you use WinHTTP for network connectivity from within a service.  MSDN has some good documentation on this, and it is similar to WinINet in structure.  One thing to pay attention to is the use of proxy servers on certain networks--you should attempt to use the Auto Proxy configuration wherever possible to ensure the broadest compatibility.

Dan
    Friday, October 23, 2009 11:13 AM

All replies

• Hi neil,

Architecturally, there are no constraints on using any user mode APIs from an UMDF driver (which is what sensor drivers are). Having said that, I am not really familiar with the APIs you mention so I cannot conclusively say if they would work or not. If you have any specific problems, let us know and we will follow up on them.

Thanks,
    Prasanna
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 9:54 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Prasanna,

thanks for confirming my expectations.

Regards

neil
    Friday, October 23, 2009 6:48 AM
  • Neil,

I believe the Native WLAN API should be OK, however WinINet is not officially supported for use in services, which is how the user mode driver runs.  See this article for more details:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/238425

Instead, it is recommended that you use WinHTTP for network connectivity from within a service.  MSDN has some good documentation on this, and it is similar to WinINet in structure.  One thing to pay attention to is the use of proxy servers on certain networks--you should attempt to use the Auto Proxy configuration wherever possible to ensure the broadest compatibility.

Dan
    Friday, October 23, 2009 11:13 AM
  • Hi Dan,
    thanks for pointing that out. I'm not bound to WinInet, it just sprang into my mind first :) I just have to HTTP GET a couple of things.

Kind regards and thanks to you both.
    Have a great weekend

neil
    Friday, October 23, 2009 11:24 AM
  • There is a number of APIs you can't call from UMDF driver even if it runs in user mode. For example the HID apis do not work as I recently discovered and we discussed it in another thread 

Also remember that the UMDF drivers run in the context of local service api and you can't do some things - for example you cannot show a Window.

Michael
    Friday, October 23, 2009 4:24 PM