How can I connect a device emulator to the net under Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• How can I make my device emulators connect to the Internet when running natively on Windows 7? I don't want to run everything in VPC. I want the emulator to support once and for all Windows 7!

I have tried Brian Peek's trick for installing the VPC virtual network drivers, it doesn't work for me, both with 32bit and 64bit drivers.

I have installed Windows Virtual PC RC for Windows 7, it does not change a thing.

When I "cradle" my devices, nothing happens. Windows Mobile Device Center does not wake up. When I enable the NE2000 (with the VPC virtual network adapter installed), nothing happens, and going back to the device settings, the network card is still unchecked.

Is it too much to ask to have a development environment that works directly in my native OS?
    (W7 RTM 64bit, VS.NET 2008 SP1)

Thank you.
    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 1:00 PM

Answers

• Scratch that. The installed virtual machine drivers (installed per trying Brian Peel's trick) were interfering with Windows Mobile Device Center. Cleared everything back to normal, enabled connection via DMA in WMDC, and it works.

Sorry for the noise.
    • Marked as answer by slimcode Tuesday, October 6, 2009 2:30 PM
    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 2:30 PM

All replies

• Scratch that. The installed virtual machine drivers (installed per trying Brian Peel's trick) were interfering with Windows Mobile Device Center. Cleared everything back to normal, enabled connection via DMA in WMDC, and it works.

Sorry for the noise.
    • Marked as answer by slimcode Tuesday, October 6, 2009 2:30 PM
    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 2:30 PM

Sorry for the noise.

Help slimcode!

I am having the same issues, and I don't follow what you mean by: "...enabled connection via DMA in WMDC and it works."

Could you please elaborate?!

Thanks in advance!
    Friday, November 13, 2009 6:53 PM
  • Ramona,

I think slimcode is referring to whn you go to 'Windows Mobile Device Center', go to "Connection Settings" and change "Allow Connections from the following:" to "DMA"
    Monday, December 7, 2009 6:06 AM
  • Hi
    Could someone help me out with a similar issue?
    My problem - can get the emulator working perfectly on XP. All the comments above regarding connection settings and DMA make perfect sense. The following article spells is out beautifully: http://betterthaneveryone.com/archive/2008/08/31/getting-network-access-on-the-windows-mobile-emulator.aspx

The problem I have is with Windows 7. I cant get the windows mobile emulator to sync. I cant find how you change connection settings in Windows 7. Windows Mobile Device Centre doesnt exist in my version of Windows 7 - it is called Windows Mobility Centre. When I select sync settings, another windows opens and no options to configure are available.

I have installed virtual pc 2007 SP1. I have the virtual network driver enabled

It would be nice if I could report an error to you but it is just annoying that nothing happens. Particuarly annoying when it took 10 minutes to set this up on XP and now into the 3rd hour on Windows 7.

Any suggestions you have would be appreciated.

Thanks

Andrew
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 3:34 AM
  • Hi
    After going home and giving a rest starting fresh the next day I think I found the problem relates to my laptop.
    I was able to setup the emulator correctly on a W7 desktop. I have a HP netbook and I suspect the network card/drivers do not support the emulator network requirements.

Wednesday, January 27, 2010 9:16 PM

When I "cradle" my devices, nothing happens.

Similar configuration and situation on my Windows 7 machine ...

Only having DMA enabled and enabled also NE2000 of course but nothing happens or the following message appars:

Communications error

Cannot start communications with the desktop computer.
    Remote Networking could not start due to a critical error (Error 608)

Please reconnect your device. If the problem persists, restart your device using the instructions provided by the manufacturer.

Have done several uncradle/cradle, soft-reset, also rebootet host machine(!) nothing worked ...

Tried http://agilemobility.net/2009/08/01/windows-device-emulator-networking/ but didn't worked (driver already installed in my W7 machine, re-installed, no change in behaviour - see above)

I just want to connect the Emulator with WMDC ....

Programming is a kind of art but not all programmers are artists.
    • Edited by hfrmobile Monday, March 8, 2010 11:39 AM added detailed information
    Monday, March 8, 2010 8:18 AM
  • Communications error

Cannot start communications with the desktop computer.
    Remote Networking could not start due to a critical error (Error 608)

Please reconnect your device. If the problem persists, restart your device using the instructions provided by the manufacturer.

D'oh!!

I used a clean WM5 emulator and DMA connection via WMDC 6.1 worked fine. Since I develop a CF 2.0 application I installed the .NET CF 2.0 and tried again. Ups .... Above error message appears! So the cause of the problem is the CF 2.0 version I used ...

Programming is a kind of art but not all programmers are artists.
    Monday, March 8, 2010 1:33 PM