Convert Boolean Values to STring RRS feed

• Question

• User-371148474 posted

Helo guys,

I have this two columns in an Order table, orderSHipped and orderCancelled....both are of data type bit with default value of (0) but, I allow IsPost to post false...

Thing is this, for every customer order list, I want to convert the false to string "No",""Awaiting Shipment or whatever string I want and also convert true to "Yes","Already Shipped","Cancelled" or whatever string I want...

Any tips please

Monday, July 14, 2014 11:22 AM

Answers

• User281315223 posted

You can use the ternary operator for this which basically functions as an inline if-statement :

var x = (condition) ? (value if true) : (value if false);

This in your case would simply involve you using your boolean value as the condition and your string values as both the "true" and "false" values as seen below :

// Set your status
    var status = orderShipped ? "Order has been shipped!" : "Order has not been shipped.";

If you wanted to account for canceled, you could use a more complex set of ternaries :

var status = orderCancelled ? "Order cancelled." : orderShipped ? "Order shipped." : "Order has not been shipped.";

This would set the status as "Canceled" if the order had been canceled and if it hadn't it would set it to indicate if it had been shipped or not.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, July 14, 2014 1:17 PM

All replies

• User-760709272 posted

string textToShow = boolFromDatabase ? "Thing to show if bool is true" : "Thing to show if bool is false";

Monday, July 14, 2014 11:24 AM
  • User-1360095595 posted

Alternatively, this can be done in the SQL select statement via a CASE block, or IIF (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh213574.aspx).

Monday, July 14, 2014 11:35 AM
  • User379720387 posted

@metalasp.net

only if sql 2012 and up, not for sql ce.

Monday, July 14, 2014 1:08 PM
  • User281315223 posted

You can use the ternary operator for this which basically functions as an inline if-statement :

var x = (condition) ? (value if true) : (value if false);

This in your case would simply involve you using your boolean value as the condition and your string values as both the "true" and "false" values as seen below :

// Set your status
    var status = orderShipped ? "Order has been shipped!" : "Order has not been shipped.";

If you wanted to account for canceled, you could use a more complex set of ternaries :

var status = orderCancelled ? "Order cancelled." : orderShipped ? "Order shipped." : "Order has not been shipped.";

This would set the status as "Canceled" if the order had been canceled and if it hadn't it would set it to indicate if it had been shipped or not.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, July 14, 2014 1:17 PM
  • User-371148474 posted

how do i use it in a foreach statement

var order=db.Query(@"SELECT UserID,Orders.* FROM Orders
    INNER JOIN UserProfile ON Orders.oUserId = UserProfile.UserID
    WHERE UserProfile.UserID = @0
    ORDER BY OrderDateTime DESC",UserID);

<div class="col-sm-12 col-md-12">
    @foreach (var o in order){

string shippedstatus = o.orderShipped ? "Thing to show if bool is true" : "Thing to show if bool is false";
    }
    Monday, July 14, 2014 1:41 PM