Is Silverlight for Home Users ??? RRS feed

• Question

• When Silverlight came out it was presented as an Update.  I've got in on my XP machine.

Now  I'm using a Vista SP2 machine and it was showing in the programs but didn't work so I used the

MS Installer cleamup and it's gone.  I tried to find the download site and finaly found out.  But after viewing

it , it makes me wonder if I really need it.  This all started as I was looking for the MSN Money Portfolio Manager that

I had on my XP machine and wanted it on the Vista one too.  Where can I find the download for Silverlight for users,

not delvelopers ?    

Thanks in advance for the help !

Tuesday, February 2, 2010 10:37 AM

All replies

• The only place I've seen the developer version recommended lately was on the Facebook Silverlight 4 beta. There are a few ways to get the "user" version of the silverlight plugin. The most straightforward is to go here and install it: 

http://microsoft.com/silverlight

You can also install it through Windows Live Essentials at:

http://download.live.com/

and finally, if you go to a site using Silverlight and you don't have it installed you should be prompted to install it.

Tuesday, February 2, 2010 10:56 AM
  • I have been wondering the same thing. I just switched back to PC from a Mac and am getting a little lost in the various concurrent OS LOL

Tuesday, February 2, 2010 11:15 AM
  •  

When Silverlight came out it was presented as an Update.  I've got in on my XP machine.

Now  I'm using a Vista SP2 machine and it was showing in the programs but didn't work so I used the

MS Installer cleamup and it's gone.  I tried to find the download site and finaly found out.  But after viewing

it , it makes me wonder if I really need it.  This all started as I was looking for the MSN Money Portfolio Manager that

I had on my XP machine and wanted it on the Vista one too.  Where can I find the download for Silverlight for users,

not delvelopers ?    

Thanks in advance for the help !

Hi, have you had any issues with Silverlight freezing up on a Vista machine... but NOT an XP machine? mine keeps freezing and then crashing on my new Vista laptop, but it doesn't do it on my XP laptop... any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Tuesday, February 2, 2010 11:54 AM
  • Why sign up 4 times to reply to your own post?

Tuesday, February 2, 2010 12:10 PM
  • Hi

Where can I find the download for Silverlight for users,not delvelopers ?    

see http://www.silverlight.net/getstarted/ right side!

Tuesday, February 2, 2010 12:11 PM
  •  Did you notice that too Sledge? I'm brand new to this forum and i still looked at that post and said to myself hmmm something is at odds

Tuesday, February 2, 2010 12:37 PM
  • This all started as I was looking for the MSN Money Portfolio Manager that

not delvelopers ?    

If you are using the new Silverlight MSN Money Portfolio Manager,  it should ask you to download the Silverlight runtime. Just click the download button or follow the instruction on that page, you should download the correct version (it is for end user, not the dev version) of the Silverlight. After the download and installation, you might have to close the browser before you comeback to that page. It should work after that.

Or if you want to try to install the RunTime for end user yourself, click the following link  http://www.silverlight.net/getstarted/ then on the right side of the page, you should see a box:

Install Silverlight

That should be the latest version 3. Choose the one for you OS.

Tuesday, February 2, 2010 1:02 PM
  •  I would also want to know if it will work on Windows. I recently installed Windows 7 and i would appreciate get some recommendations from people who also installed it.

Thanks

Jack

Tuesday, February 2, 2010 4:06 PM
  • I have had  no problems installing silverlight in fact my computer originally had vista and now I have installed windows 7  

Some  people may be confused because first you must let  silverlight load then at some point silverlight will prompt you

so you will no longer be connected to the browser.....  

It should work fine on windows 7. You can also install silverlight  the old fashioned way by hitting the "save"

button designating a path on your computer and then installing it that way as well...Silverlight is very easy to load.....      

In fact I installed the silverlight toolkit  codeplex the old fashioned way just because I really want to control those

tools so that I can easy delete these off my computer.....   The main thing to remember is whenever you delete

any items off your computer keep your browser off.....easy stuff  

Tuesday, February 2, 2010 4:49 PM
  • I have several XP Pro machines and I stream radio on my laptop and I get a message telling me to upgrade to SL for a better experience.  I'm hoping someone here can tell me how it would be better.

I use Bing for my search and I think it's cool to have a changing image each day, they are awesome but I guess I'm still confused about what it is.

I know it's probably a dumb question but that's why I'm here

any and all help appreciated

TIA

Tuesday, February 2, 2010 6:41 PM
  •  Hey Jack, it doesnt run properly and I have been experiancing some problems with Windows 7.

Tuesday, February 2, 2010 9:23 PM
  • Because this form is very confusing compared to the old one in IE6.

So excuse me, but at this point I am a VERY frustrated PC user of 25 years and with all these changes, which have been not been beneficial, in my opinion for the general user.  I didn't even know I posted so many times.  I thought it was all in one.

This Visata / Windows Mail stinks !  I thought I'd give it one more try on this Vista PC.  Sorry I did.  So I'm going back to my XP laptop and

live happily every after.  When that one quits, I think I'll try and "I MAC" and see if the ads are really true.

P.S......Now my inbox messages have disappeard and yes I have it set to "show all messages".  Can't find any solutions to that one

either in these forms.  Just anyother frustrating reason to switch ! 

Sunday, February 7, 2010 12:12 PM
  •  hi dear i am wondering too, if you go to any website which contains silverlight contents so you will be asked to install

the silverlight runtime and your browser might also switch you to the download page ....

Sunday, February 7, 2010 12:45 PM
  • Hey john

I'm like you. I've put it on my XP machine and I think it's cool. I'm starting to use bing more often than google now.

Monday, February 8, 2010 7:00 PM
  • Can someone please explain the top benefits why a regular user should install Silverlight?

If you want to see a Web page or run a Web application that is developed in Silverlight, you have to install Silverlight run time.

Click the following NBC Winter Olympics 2010 site you will be prompt to install Silverlight (if you don't already have one installed) if you want to watch the Videos. Because this site is using Silverlight control to deliver HD videos:

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/assetid=685691d5-a3b5-4dc6-8387-8a194951b991.html#u+s+nationals+flatts+free+skate

Monday, February 8, 2010 10:16 PM
  • http://forums.silverlight.net/forums/AddPost.aspx?ReplyToPostID=357945&Quote=False

when u browse this page it prompts to install silverlightPlugin

then u install it

which means this plugin enables u to browse silverlight enabled pages.

this is only for browsing not for developing

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 6:35 AM
  •  Thanks for the tip Bill, I`ll head over now and download it.

David Bowie

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 8:57 AM
  • No, you do not need to install Silverlight if you have never hit a page that requires you to install it.  It's just a plug-in like Flash, If you never want to see a Flash app like youtube video, you do not need to install the Flash plug-in.

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 1:36 PM
  • Thank you I never thought about it like that eg; No, you do not need to install Silverlight if you have never hit a page that requires you to install it.  It's just a plug-in like Flash, If you never want to see a Flash app like youtube video, you do not need to install the Flash plug-in.

very informative, appreciate it.

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 2:33 PM
  • I have the same question. I feel a bit loose with it.

Can someone please explain the top benefits why a regular user should install Silverlight?

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 3:11 PM
  •  Thank Bill

When you said

"The only place I've seen the developer version recommended lately was on the Facebook Silverlight 4 beta. There are a few ways to get the "user" version of the silverlight plugin. The most straightforward is to go here and install it: "

It is very helpfull for me , thank again

Best 

Saturday, February 13, 2010 6:24 PM