What is the next step from SB RRS feed

• Question

• i've got good as SB but it is very limited. I'm wondering what is the next program to use to make stuff in. Free please. And also i want to make gui's like in SB

chase morell

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 12:46 AM

Answers

• I would try some extensions. Litdev's extension (available on the extensions thread) is very good. I would also recommend the IO Extension (that is mine which I released about two hours ago). Extensions add a lot to Small Basic that allows you to many cool things.

If you want to move on from SB, Visual Basic is a good choice. Writing a Small Basic extension in C# was my first step out of SB--- it is good to leave you comfort zone and try something like C# as well. Once I had a firm knowledge of C# (~1 year), I moved on to x86 assembly and operating system development. Again, it is good to try something different than SB's syntax like C# or even assembly.

However, if you want rich GUIs, SB with the IO Extension would work well. I have added support for (22 I think) Windows Forms controls and the Microsoft Office 2007 Ribbon (Ribbons are these things: http://ribbon.codeplex.com/) Again, VB and C# also offer good GUI choices.

Please mark any answers and "vote as helpful" any posts that help you!

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 1:18 AM
    Answerer
  • Pure JavaScript code is a mess, especially when dealing w/ OOP!

For beginners on JavaScript, like me, I think an intermediary language approach (syntax sugar) is more appropriate!

Here's 2 of such abstract languages:

They have a much logical and easier syntax compared to raw JavaScript.

You just write your code using 1 of them, and then, it compiles it as true JavaScript code!

Another option (and my favorite) is Processing, which is both Java & JavaScript based.

It's more graphics animation oriented; but can do any kind of program when focused on Java.

When focused on JavaScript, the code you write works in any modern browser!

Although the Java focus can also work inside browsers when using Java applets!

Just like SB works online via Silverlight applet plugin.

Click on "Propose As Answer" if some post solves your problem or "Vote As Helpful" if some post has been useful to you! (^_^)

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 4:58 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• I would try some extensions. Litdev's extension (available on the extensions thread) is very good. I would also recommend the IO Extension (that is mine which I released about two hours ago). Extensions add a lot to Small Basic that allows you to many cool things.

If you want to move on from SB, Visual Basic is a good choice. Writing a Small Basic extension in C# was my first step out of SB--- it is good to leave you comfort zone and try something like C# as well. Once I had a firm knowledge of C# (~1 year), I moved on to x86 assembly and operating system development. Again, it is good to try something different than SB's syntax like C# or even assembly.

However, if you want rich GUIs, SB with the IO Extension would work well. I have added support for (22 I think) Windows Forms controls and the Microsoft Office 2007 Ribbon (Ribbons are these things: http://ribbon.codeplex.com/) Again, VB and C# also offer good GUI choices.

Please mark any answers and "vote as helpful" any posts that help you!

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 1:18 AM
    Answerer
  • I would recommend Javascript. I've got a small SB.js file that I wrote that will help U out a bit.

A spark to start a fire is necessary. But mainly you need dry kindling.

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 4:24 PM
    Answerer
  • Pure JavaScript code is a mess, especially when dealing w/ OOP!

For beginners on JavaScript, like me, I think an intermediary language approach (syntax sugar) is more appropriate!

Here's 2 of such abstract languages:

They have a much logical and easier syntax compared to raw JavaScript.

You just write your code using 1 of them, and then, it compiles it as true JavaScript code!

Another option (and my favorite) is Processing, which is both Java & JavaScript based.

It's more graphics animation oriented; but can do any kind of program when focused on Java.

When focused on JavaScript, the code you write works in any modern browser!

Although the Java focus can also work inside browsers when using Java applets!

Just like SB works online via Silverlight applet plugin.

Click on "Propose As Answer" if some post solves your problem or "Vote As Helpful" if some post has been useful to you! (^_^)

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 4:58 PM
    Answerer