none
.NET framework 4 Installation failed with error code: (0x80070643) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I'm having some trouble installing .NET framework 4.

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. Whenever i try to install via windows update i get an error code 643. I've tried installing with the standalone installer and it also fails and tells me to check the log for further details, clicking the link to the log gives me this:

OS Version = 6.1.7601, Platform 2, Service Pack 1
    OS Description = Windows 7 - x64 Home Premium Edition Service Pack 1

CommandLine = C:\a7317c4cb7e2258feae58f155a5eafc8\\Setup.exe /x86 /x64
    TimeZone = Eastern Daylight Time
    Initial LCID = 1033
    Using Simultaneous Download and Install mechanism          

Operation: Installing

Package Name = Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Setup
    Package Version = 4.0.30319
    User Experience Data Collection Policy: Disabled

Number of applicable items: 11

Exe (C:\a7317c4cb7e2258feae58f155a5eafc8\SetupUtility.exe) succeeded.
    Exe Log File: dd_SetupUtility.txt
    ServiceControl operation succeeded!
    Exe (C:\a7317c4cb7e2258feae58f155a5eafc8\Windows6.1-KB958488-v6001-x64.msu) failed with 0x240006 - (null).
    MSI (C:\a7317c4cb7e2258feae58f155a5eafc8\netfx_Core_x64.msi) Installation failed. Msi Log: Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Setup_20110629_202910522-MSI_netfx_Core_x64.msi.txt
    MSI (C:\a7317c4cb7e2258feae58f155a5eafc8\netfx_Core_x64.msi) Installation failed. Msi Log: Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Setup_20110629_202910522-MSI_netfx_Core_x64.msi.txt
    Final Result: Installation failed with error code: (0x80070643), "Fatal error during installation. " (Elapsed time: 0 00:01:12).

I had no other versions of .NET framework installed prior to this. Like i Said, no matter what i Use to attempt and install it ends up failing. When using the standalone installer it does get about halfway to installing and then begins rolling back the progress.

I have uploaded a copy of my vslogs.cab to skydrive. Not sure if I'm linking it right but here, https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=393f7a90bb2bffd9#cid=393F7A90BB2BFFD9&id=393F7A90BB2BFFD9%21105

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 10:41 AM

Answers

• Hi Yhcal,

Thank you for your post.

First, I recommend you replace the owner and add Full access permissions to registry key:

“HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Components”

To do so:

Back up the registry
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Back-up-the-registry

I find the following specific steps form Internet:

I.            Press Start>>Run>>Type “regedit”.

II.            Navigate to the following parent container: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Components. The 'S-1-5-18' key may be different on your computer.

III.            We intend to find the first of the two GUIDs, namely "87B3BCA8516B6BA47AD0D63F93004BE1". Scroll through the children of the "Components" key to locate this corresponding first of two GUIDs from the message box shown above. Most often this will have a "+" beside the folder since it'll have one or more children items in it (one of which will be the second GUID from the message box shown above). You can also use the "Find" command within the registry editor but that is a much slower and more tedious operation to do.

IV.            Right click on the parent container registry key "87B3BCA8516B6BA47AD0D63F93004BE1". Choose "Permissions..."

V.            On the "Permissions for..." dialog box which appears next, press the "Add.." button and add in the "Administrator", "Administrators" and "SYSTEM" accounts. For ourselves, we also made sure to add in our own local account which had administrator privileges.

VI.            Back on the first "Permissions for..." dialog box, click on each account in the top-list and make sure each has the "Full Control = Allow" and "Read = Allow" permissions.

VII.            Click the "Advanced" button so as to the "Advanced Security Settings" dialog box appears.

VIII.            On the "Permissions tab" enable the checkmark box named "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object", then press the "Apply" button.

IX.            On the "Owner" tab, highlight the "Administrators" name in the lower listbox, enable the checkmark box called "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects" and press the "Apply Button".

X.            Repeat the previous 2 steps once more. This time around you shouldn't get any errors about not being able to update the permissions on the child keys.

XI.            Exit these dialog boxes by pressing the "Ok" button, so that you are back to the main registry editor.

XII.            If you continue to get this "Could not open key" message, on the exact same keys, then you didn't do the above operations correctly.

Here is the specific page: http://www.okino.com/conv/changing_windows_registry_permissions.htm

If you have any other concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Alexander Sun Thursday, July 7, 2011 10:22 AM
    Friday, July 1, 2011 8:31 AM

All replies

• Some clarification, please.

When you refer to "standalone installer", do you mean this?

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=17718

Are you running the standalone installer "As Administrator"?

Here is the stop issue as reported in your log:

Returning IDOK. INSTALLMESSAGE_ERROR [Could not open key: UNKNOWN\Components\87B3BCA8516B6BA47AD0D63F93004BE1\DFC90B5F2B0FFA63D84FD16F6BF37C4B. Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel.]
    [6/29/2011, 20:30:22]MSI (C:\a7317c4cb7e2258feae58f155a5eafc8\netfx_Core_x64.msi) Installation failed. Msi Log: Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Setup_20110629_202910522-MSI_netfx_Core_x64.msi.txt
    [6/29/2011, 20:30:22]PerformOperation returned 1603 (translates to HRESULT = 0x80070643)

First, I suggest you follow the suggestions in YiChun Chen's answer in this thread:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/netfxsetup/thread/5ca15c45-ddf7-479a-8f6a-980112b10990

You can also try this:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2006/09/04/739820.aspx

You MUST run SubInACL from a full administrator account for it to work in Win 7.

Further, I note from the size of your vslogs.cab and the multiple install attempts that you didn't do the following, which you should do before each new install attempt:

Use this tool to clean up any .NET Framework 4 entries found:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/08/28/8904493.aspx

Clear out your %temp% directory. Reboot. Disable your AV software, and any other anti-malware/firewall software you have. Run the installer As Administrator.

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 1:32 PM
  • Yes, that was what i was referring to as the standalone installer. I followed what you told me to do and it ended up the same way again. It begins to install but then rolls back the action and fails giving me the same information.
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 1:52 PM
  • I'm not sure if this will help any, but I used a windows fixit to get a log of what ever happens when i run windows update to try and install the .NET framework.

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=393f7a90bb2bffd9&permissionsChanged=1&id=393F7A90BB2BFFD9%21107#!/?cid=393f7a90bb2bffd9&sc=documents&uc=1&id=393F7A90BB2BFFD9%21107

Thursday, June 30, 2011 4:16 AM
  • Hi Yhcal,

Thank you for your post.

First, I recommend you replace the owner and add Full access permissions to registry key:

“HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Components”

To do so:

Back up the registry
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Back-up-the-registry

I find the following specific steps form Internet:

I.            Press Start>>Run>>Type “regedit”.

II.            Navigate to the following parent container: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Components. The 'S-1-5-18' key may be different on your computer.

III.            We intend to find the first of the two GUIDs, namely "87B3BCA8516B6BA47AD0D63F93004BE1". Scroll through the children of the "Components" key to locate this corresponding first of two GUIDs from the message box shown above. Most often this will have a "+" beside the folder since it'll have one or more children items in it (one of which will be the second GUID from the message box shown above). You can also use the "Find" command within the registry editor but that is a much slower and more tedious operation to do.

IV.            Right click on the parent container registry key "87B3BCA8516B6BA47AD0D63F93004BE1". Choose "Permissions..."

V.            On the "Permissions for..." dialog box which appears next, press the "Add.." button and add in the "Administrator", "Administrators" and "SYSTEM" accounts. For ourselves, we also made sure to add in our own local account which had administrator privileges.

VI.            Back on the first "Permissions for..." dialog box, click on each account in the top-list and make sure each has the "Full Control = Allow" and "Read = Allow" permissions.

VII.            Click the "Advanced" button so as to the "Advanced Security Settings" dialog box appears.

VIII.            On the "Permissions tab" enable the checkmark box named "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object", then press the "Apply" button.

IX.            On the "Owner" tab, highlight the "Administrators" name in the lower listbox, enable the checkmark box called "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects" and press the "Apply Button".

X.            Repeat the previous 2 steps once more. This time around you shouldn't get any errors about not being able to update the permissions on the child keys.

XI.            Exit these dialog boxes by pressing the "Ok" button, so that you are back to the main registry editor.

XII.            If you continue to get this "Could not open key" message, on the exact same keys, then you didn't do the above operations correctly.

Here is the specific page: http://www.okino.com/conv/changing_windows_registry_permissions.htm

If you have any other concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Alexander Sun Thursday, July 7, 2011 10:22 AM
    Friday, July 1, 2011 8:31 AM
  • I had the same problem and finally figured it out.

After about 10 hours trying all different things. Looking at all different threads. I found a solution that I did not see anywhere and it worked!

I went to "C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET" there is a directory called "Assembly".

I looked in the directory and found some subdirectories with lots of old dot net 4 files. I renamed the directory Assembly2 and tried to install Dot Net 4 and it worked!!!!

(You can't delete the Assembly directory unless you take ownership of it but you can rename it.)

It seems that something was in the old "Assembly" directory.

Everything is working fine now. How come that is not mentioned anywhere? I bet many people are having this problem.

Does this help?

• Proposed as answer by Alexander Sun Wednesday, November 23, 2011 10:35 AM
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 9:38 PM
  • I had the same problem and finally figured it out.

After about 10 hours trying all different things. Looking at all different threads. I found a solution that I did not see anywhere and it worked!

I went to "C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET" there is a directory called "Assembly".

I looked in the directory and found some subdirectories with lots of old dot net 4 files. I renamed the directory Assembly2 and tried to install Dot Net 4 and it worked!!!!

(You can't delete the Assembly directory unless you take ownership of it but you can rename it.)

It seems that something was in the old "Assembly" directory.

Everything is working fine now. How come that is not mentioned anywhere? I bet many people are having this problem.

Does this help?

This worked like a charm. I couldn't believe it after working on the problem and using fixit and other material for about two days. Great work irarab.
    Monday, December 5, 2011 6:59 PM
  • Glad I was able to help!
    Thursday, December 8, 2011 6:34 AM
  • Thanks to irarab for the simple solution of renaming the directory

"C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET" there is a directory called "Assembly"

It worked like a charm to allow the installation to complete!

Sunday, January 1, 2012 4:18 AM
  • i have the same problem, and I do not have that folder!! I am ripping my hair out! lol :(
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 1:11 AM
  • geeeh after searching and trying everything mentioned to solve this damned problem I found this. Just rename that directory and it worked.

Why is microsoft making it always this difficult.

Thanks irarab

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 8:22 PM
  • Hi,

I am unable to rename the folder. "You need permission to perform action" How do i get around that? I am the administrator. Thanks!

Friday, February 17, 2012 12:58 AM
  • hm

i ve tried both Alexander Sun´s and irarab´s ways but sadly they dont work for me.

Full log

I still get the following error message:

OS Version = 6.1.7601, Platform 2, Service Pack 1
    OS Description = Windows 7 - x64 Home Premium Edition Service Pack 1
    CommandLine = D:\1d0e1d1be09600e1f6988d97eb0e\\Setup.exe /x86 /x64
    TimeZone = Mitteleuropäische Zeit
    Initial LCID = 1031
    Using Simultaneous Download and Install mechanism
    Operation: Installing
    Package Name = Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Setup
    Package Version = 4.0.30319
    User Experience Data Collection Policy: AlwaysUploaded
    Number of applicable items: 11
    Exe (D:\1d0e1d1be09600e1f6988d97eb0e\SetupUtility.exe) succeeded.
    Exe Log File: dd_SetupUtility.txt
    Exe (D:\1d0e1d1be09600e1f6988d97eb0e\Windows6.1-KB958488-v6001-x64.msu) failed with 0x240006 - (null).
    MSI (D:\1d0e1d1be09600e1f6988d97eb0e\netfx_Core_x64.msi) Installation failed. Msi Log: Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Setup_20120303_194546162-MSI_netfx_Core_x64.msi.txt
    MSI (D:\1d0e1d1be09600e1f6988d97eb0e\netfx_Core_x64.msi) Installation failed. Msi Log: Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Setup_20120303_194546162-MSI_netfx_Core_x64.msi.txt

Final Result: Installation failed with error code: (0x80070643), "Schwerwiegender Fehler bei der Installation. " (Elapsed time: 0 00:00:46).

• Edited by headlaker Saturday, March 3, 2012 6:58 PM
    Saturday, March 3, 2012 6:50 PM
  • Worked like a charm after many other solutions failed. Thanks!!!!!
    Monday, April 30, 2012 11:37 AM
  • After hours trying every fix I read on the internet Alexander Sun's fix worked for me!!!

Here are a few more details related to the fix. The important thing is that after each attempted install you find the new key that Windows can't find. Then just follow Alexander Sun's direction.

How to find the new key after each attempted install:

• Go to the Start menu and Run... "%temp% after each attempt at installing the .NET Framework.
    • Open the latest Microsoft.NET HTML file (it will have different names depending on which version you are trying to install but they should all start with the words "Microsoft.NET")
    • Hit ctrl+f to find the words "could not open key." Find your key (the first set of numbers and letters after "UNKNKOWN\Components\"

I hope this helps someone and saves them the hours of frustration that I had. Oh and thanks Alexander Sun!!!

P.S. I'm pretty sure the reason I was having problems was that I followed cwd's suggestion on this page on how to fix the problems I was having with ATI's Catalyst Control Center. One of the steps in his "fix" was to remove all keys from the C:/Windows/Assembly folder that contain the following public key token: 90ba9c70f846762e[/*]. So if anyone is trying to fix their problems with CCC make sure you DON'T uninstall those keys.

EDIT: Looks like I celebrated too soon. I can't install .NET updates from Windows Updates now. If I go into "Uninstall a Program" in Control Panel and try to repair my installation of .NET 4 I get the 0x80070643 error again. Looking at the Microsoft.NET HTML file in %temp% I see that there are still more keys that need fixing. I did that for a couple of hours then I figured that I would probably have to do it for all of the ones with an arrow next to them, which is well over 100 so I gave up. If anybody's got any ideas let me know cause I'm all out of them...

• Edited by FRUGiHOYi Wednesday, May 30, 2012 9:31 PM
    Wednesday, May 30, 2012 9:07 AM
  • I dun have 87B3BCA8516B6BA47AD0D63F93004BE1
    Sunday, November 11, 2012 7:27 PM
  • I've been trying everything known to man to fix this problem for 7 hours and THIS fixed it!!  Thank you so much for posting!
    Saturday, July 27, 2013 10:36 AM