none
Do you need to convert OpenXML to PDF, XPS or DOC? RRS feed

• Question

• I have searched this forum and found there are several requests about how to convert OpenXML documents to PDF, XPS and DOC. Some of the replies suggest using third party libraries, such as Aspose.Words. But these replies also often mention that these components are expensive.

Here is the bit, I am a project manager of Aspose.Words and I would like to see how we can serve the needs of the OpenXML Format SDK users to convert DOCX to PDF, XPS and DOC.

Aspose.Words for .NET is a document processing library that offers features in four areas: conversion, programming, reporting and rendering. It is an established, feature rich and reliable product and yes, it is priced accordingly, it starts from $899.

What I am thinking of doing is making a special version of our product Aspose.Words for OpenXML Format SDK that will be cut down to only support features that the OpenXML SDK users most often require. At this stage it looks like you need conversion of DOCX to PDF, XPS and DOC. These all are supported in Aspose.Words. What do you think about such a product and how much do you think it should cost not to be labeled as "too expensive"? 

Regards,
    Roman Korchagin

Thursday, August 20, 2009 10:53 AM

All replies

• This would be quite useful.  I think $250-$350 would be reasonable.
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 6:28 PM
  • I think $899 is very affordable, even for small companies. It may be a problem for non-commercial company's, schools and foundations.

With the Open XML Format SDK, creating and manipulation documents has now become pretty easy. I don't expect anyone to feel the need for an even easier tool to assist in those tasks. However, creating file types other than docx is very much needed:
    - DOC: for companies who haven't made (and don't (yet) want to) the switch to Office 2007 as their main document editor
    - PDF and PDF/a: for creating read-only documents, usually for publishing and archiving
    - ODT: for companies who use Open Office.org as their primary document processor (Oo's native support for reading docx is pretty bad (my personal experience)). These companies especially include most governments (definately here in the Netherlands where the government seems more and more anti-MS).

I don't see the need for XPS just yet, since it's not used and supported that much. As far as I know, only since Windows 7 it's part of the OS (pre Win7 it's an optional update on Windows Update I think).

Since not everyone would need to support all these converters, they could be packaged separately for say... $200 each and all for $500. That would be a really cool deal!!

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 3:29 PM

• What I am thinking of doing is making a special version of our product Aspose.Words for OpenXML Format SDK that will be cut down to only support features that the OpenXML SDK users most often require. At this stage it looks like you need conversion of DOCX to PDF, XPS and DOC. These all are supported in Aspose.Words. What do you think about such a product and how much do you think it should cost not to be labeled as "too expensive"? 

Regards,
    Roman Korchagin

I know this thread is old but did this ever get done?  I would definitely be interested in a component to just do a straight conversion of docx to pdf.  It looks like the pdf component you have now won't do it, I would still need to buy words for $900.

Regards,
    Chris Rock

• Proposed as answer by Vicky190779 Tuesday, July 3, 2012 11:49 AM
    Tuesday, January 25, 2011 10:41 PM
  • Hi All,

Open xml sdk is good if user dont want to install ms office on client machine. but problem for development they can achieve most of functionality from open xml but when they try to created pdf from document or office file then they alwasy think about aspose. but it is to costly then may be possible that client of developer will  not agree on it. so  as per my thinking open xml should be introduce new feature for pdf conversion.

Thanks

vikram

Tuesday, July 3, 2012 11:54 AM

• What I am thinking of doing is making a special version of our product Aspose.Words for OpenXML Format SDK that will be cut down to only support features that the OpenXML SDK users most often require. At this stage it looks like you need conversion of DOCX to PDF, XPS and DOC. These all are supported in Aspose.Words. What do you think about such a product and how much do you think it should cost not to be labeled as "too expensive"? 

Regards,
    Roman Korchagin

I know this thread is old but did this ever get done?  I would definitely be interested in a component to just do a straight conversion of docx to pdf.  It looks like the pdf component you have now won't do it, I would still need to buy words for $900.

Regards,
    Chris Rock

I would also like to know this. We need something to do this as well.
    Friday, July 27, 2012 5:33 PM
  • Hi,

there is also one more cheaper option. This component has limited free edition and pro edition costs $ 480 and it looks like to support convert Word to PDF in .NET:

// Convert Word file (DOCX) to PDF.
    DocumentModel.Load("Doc.docx", LoadOptions.DocxDefault).Save("Doc.pdf");

Thursday, August 2, 2012 7:06 AM
  • Hello,

900$ wouldn't be so much, the problem is with the license when you want to deploy it to the server. If that requires site oem, the license is ~13000$.

For example I needed a tool just to add watermark on  doc,ppt,xls/docx,pptx,xlsx, or to support conversion from docx,pptx,xlsx to doc,ppt,xls and the other way around. 

If I add the excel sdk to the basket...well...too expensive. 

Maybe you can make a separate sdk just for conversion of all office files and no other functions.

Best Regards,

Dan

Tuesday, March 4, 2014 1:47 PM