none
WCF-SQL Adapter. Schema issues RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have an issue regarding the root-elements and target namespaces of the generated schemas from the WCF-SQL Adapter.

Some background first. We have been given the task to migrate (BizTalk 2006-->2010) about 15 integrations (one orchestration each) where they use a SQL-database as a cross-reference database to get user/pass for ftp-servers.

So we start off by replacing the old SQL adapter with the new WCF-SQL-Adapter and auto-generate the schemas in each solution. All calls to the database uses the same Stored Procedure. Everything builds and deploys fine. But when we run tests we get errors complaining about that we have schemas with the same root-elements and same namespaces. Initially we thought it would be sufficient to have them in separate dlls.

So what is the smoothest way to solve this? We have thought of the following ways;

-Rename the namespaces. I have read about problems with this.

-Make multiple stored procedures, one for each flow, thus getting different root-elements.

-Separate application holding the schemas and reference to it.

-Skip the WCF-SQL Adapter completely by building external .NET classes to communicate with the database.

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 8:35 PM

Answers

• I would just have one assembly with the generated schema and have each project reference that assembly. Then in deployment have this assembly deployed to a shared BizTalk application so that all of the other BizTalk applications have the reference to the schemas.

Thanks,

If this answers your question, please use the "Answer" button to say so | Ben Cline

Thursday, March 15, 2012 12:55 AM

All replies

• I would just have one assembly with the generated schema and have each project reference that assembly. Then in deployment have this assembly deployed to a shared BizTalk application so that all of the other BizTalk applications have the reference to the schemas.

Thanks,

If this answers your question, please use the "Answer" button to say so | Ben Cline

Thursday, March 15, 2012 12:55 AM
  • We had the same issue and used the soulution Ben proposed.

Cons: it creates the reference between applications. So if you will try to redeploy this Common app, you have to stop all dependent apps, etc. All this typical bunch of problems with references.

Leonid Ganeline [BizTalk MVP] BizTalkien: Advanced Questions: have fun - test your knowledge

Thursday, March 15, 2012 3:12 AM
  • I agree with Leonid, this type of shared reference approach can lead to more complicated deployment if you change the shared schemas and need to update the referenced BizTalk application.

Thanks,

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 8:20 AM