none
Group Policy Preferences Failing - Error 8194 Not enough space on disk RRS feed

• Question

• We are deploying Windows Embedded 7 Standard using IGEL thin clients. We have joined them to our domain, and are configuring using Group Policy.

I would say about half the time the thin client comes up without all policies applied. At this time, it looks like the policies failing are group policy preferences.

The event logs contain errors like this for each failing type of preference:

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        Group Policy Internet Settings
    Date:          7/31/2012 10:47:09 AM
    Event ID:      8194
    Task Category: (2)
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          SYSTEM
    Computer:      XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    Description:
    The client-side extension could not apply user policy settings for '[999] PREFS - All ThinClients - Internet Explorer Settings {A54425D5-56FD-4973-9A81-04C2BCA18AFA}' because it failed with error code '0x80070070 There is not enough space on the disk.' See trace file for more details.

The thin client doesn't have any drives that are full... and except for a couple image files totaling less than 300kb, we are simply setting GPO settings...

I've been banging my head trying to figure out how to correct this... Any help or ideas would be appreciated!

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 7:07 PM

Answers

• Ok, so I believe I have this issue resolved. Here is what I found:

Multiple errors were appearing the logs indicating that the disk was full, however the local disk was not full. After some research, I found this could also be due to the File-Based Write Filter cache being full. I was able to confirm that the cache was full by reviewing the contents of the cache using 'fbwfmgr /overlaydetail'. Thinking we needed a bigger cache, I increased the cache size from 64MB to 300MB. This seemed OK for a while.

When the thin client filled up the 300MB cache after several hours of use, I then started hunting for what was taking up the space. It turns out that in the %AppData%\Local\Microsoft\ folder there is an AppData folder for Windows Mail. This folder had grown to be over 2.7GB in size, due to a edb******.log file being created every couple of seconds that was about 2MB in size.

I edited my Group Policy config to prevent Windows Mail from running and rebooted my thin client. The issue seems to be gone.

• Marked as answer by CBI_Mike Friday, August 3, 2012 7:06 PM
    Friday, August 3, 2012 2:25 PM

All replies

• Did you set a policy for something like file size (log files) that would require more space?

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com / www.annabooks.com, Book Author - Pro Guide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

Wednesday, August 1, 2012 3:53 PM
  • Sean,

Thanks for you're response.

We currently do not have a policy setting a cap on the event log files on the thin clients. However, the system volume of the thin clients have about 1GB free, which I assumed would be enough for log growth for the time being, and the 300kb of image files we are pushing down for the user picture and custom wallpaper.

Wednesday, August 1, 2012 4:28 PM
  • Also, today my thin client came back from a reboot properly and all policies and preferences applied. The errors I mentioned before were NOT present anywhere in the logs.

It also appears that the fbwf is configured to dump changes on reboot to the location containing the logs, so logs would be flushed on reboot.

Wednesday, August 1, 2012 4:32 PM
  • Ok, so I believe I have this issue resolved. Here is what I found:

Multiple errors were appearing the logs indicating that the disk was full, however the local disk was not full. After some research, I found this could also be due to the File-Based Write Filter cache being full. I was able to confirm that the cache was full by reviewing the contents of the cache using 'fbwfmgr /overlaydetail'. Thinking we needed a bigger cache, I increased the cache size from 64MB to 300MB. This seemed OK for a while.

When the thin client filled up the 300MB cache after several hours of use, I then started hunting for what was taking up the space. It turns out that in the %AppData%\Local\Microsoft\ folder there is an AppData folder for Windows Mail. This folder had grown to be over 2.7GB in size, due to a edb******.log file being created every couple of seconds that was about 2MB in size.

I edited my Group Policy config to prevent Windows Mail from running and rebooted my thin client. The issue seems to be gone.

• Marked as answer by CBI_Mike Friday, August 3, 2012 7:06 PM
    Friday, August 3, 2012 2:25 PM