Why I am getting User='' when I have configured Forms Authentication in SSRS? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Team,

I am getting User '' does not have required permissions. Verify that sufficient permissions have been granted and Windows User Account Control (UAC) restrictions have been addressed after I have configured Forms Authentication. My SSRS web link is working. I am able to login using Forms Authentication. All steps followed as mentioned on MSDN. But when I login in, I can only see is this error mentioned above.

Afterwords, I looked into RsReportServer.config file. Here I had mentioned following:-

<Security>
    	<Extension Name="Forms"		  Type="Microsoft.Samples.ReportingServices.CustomSecurity.Authorization, 
     Microsoft.Samples.ReportingServices.CustomSecurity" >
    	<Configuration>
    	   <AdminConfiguration>
    		<UserName>username</UserName>
    		</AdminConfiguration>
    	</Configuration>
    	</Extension>
    </Security>

But when I changed "username" with the hard coded username in this config file, everything worked fine. Same username when I am passing from login screen says above error. This really kills the motive of Forms Authentication if I have to hard code. It should work dynamically on the basis of credentials passed on from UI.

Please help on this issue.

Thanks,

Sam

Sameer

Wednesday, January 17, 2018 4:12 PM

Answers

• Hi Simmy,

Yes I was finally able to fix the issue. Here are the steps:-

1. Make sure you take backup of the config files in ReportServer and ReportManager
    2. You need to be very careful in making changes in your config files. Follow steps mentioned in  https://www.codeproject.com/Articles/675943/SSRS-Forms-Authentication?msg=5477128#xx5477128xx
    3. Restart the service.
    4. Now you will be able to see Custom Authentication Screen Login/Password.
    5. You need to enter credentials and Register.
    6. Once you register, check database. Your credentials should be saved.
    7. Before you login using same credentials,you need to save same username in ReportServerConfig file and restart the service.
    8. Now you will be able to login into Reporting Service. Note that this is your Admin for Custom Authentication. You can now create other users by registering but these users will be able to login only when you add users in Site Settings Security Tab in Report Server and also do same in Folder Settings and assign those users with the type of privileges you want for them.
    9. Once step 8 is done you can now login with any user you created.
    10. Users will only be able to see the resources as per the Roles you assigned to them as mentioned in point 8.

Let me know how that works for you. 

Regards,

Sameer

Sameer

• Marked as answer by Sameer Sayani Wednesday, February 21, 2018 10:12 PM
    Wednesday, February 21, 2018 10:12 PM

All replies

• Hi Sam,

The error seems to be related with the User Access Control issue. UAC is a mechanism that report server applies to control user permissions on the report server. You could try with login into the report manager first, then add the user accounts which are allowed to log into the report manager, granting them system-level permission as well as item-level permission on the report server. Then check again. See Grant user access to a report server

Also, how did you create a table in the database recording the user accounts and update them to Report Server for authenticating? 

You could also try the methods mentioned in these two links, which are basically facing the same error and adding user accounts. 

does not have required permissions

SSRS and UAC (User Access Control)

Best Regards,

Henry 

Thursday, January 18, 2018 3:08 AM
  • Hi Henry,

Thanks for replying!

I have already done what you have mentioned but that't not the issue. I have implemented Forms Authentication on SSRS. My credentials are saved in Master DB under "UserAccount" table salt & hashed.  You can check this post: https://www.codeproject.com/Articles/675943/SSRS-Forms-Authentication?msg=5477128#xx5477128xx

My problem is when i logon, it successfully redirects to folder.aspx page (where reports etc are visible) but I can only see is the Error : User '' does not have required permissions. Verify that sufficient permissions have been granted and Windows User Account Control (UAC) restrictions have been addressed.

User should not come ''. It should be the user which I suppiled from Forms Authentication. I can share complete code with you if problem is still not clear to you. Also, please check the post i mentioned above.

I am desperately looking to resolve this issue. Please give me a shout if you got solution, will be very thankful to you.

Thanks,
    Sam

Sameer

• Proposed as answer by Simmy048 Friday, February 9, 2018 5:27 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Simmy048 Friday, February 9, 2018 5:27 PM
    Thursday, January 18, 2018 10:13 AM
  • Thursday, January 18, 2018 2:24 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your reply. May I know what permissions you give to the users in the custom authentication list? 

BR,

Henry 

Tuesday, January 23, 2018 6:16 AM
  • Hi,

Its a Admin user full privileges.

Thanks,

Sam

Sameer

Tuesday, January 23, 2018 1:30 PM
  • Hi Sammer,

Did you get solution for this one.

I am also in the same boat, If you get any solution please reply me..

Thank you,

Simmy

Friday, February 9, 2018 5:26 PM
  • Hi Simmy,

Yes I was finally able to fix the issue. Here are the steps:-

1. Make sure you take backup of the config files in ReportServer and ReportManager
    2. You need to be very careful in making changes in your config files. Follow steps mentioned in  https://www.codeproject.com/Articles/675943/SSRS-Forms-Authentication?msg=5477128#xx5477128xx
    3. Restart the service.
    4. Now you will be able to see Custom Authentication Screen Login/Password.
    5. You need to enter credentials and Register.
    6. Once you register, check database. Your credentials should be saved.
    7. Before you login using same credentials,you need to save same username in ReportServerConfig file and restart the service.
    8. Now you will be able to login into Reporting Service. Note that this is your Admin for Custom Authentication. You can now create other users by registering but these users will be able to login only when you add users in Site Settings Security Tab in Report Server and also do same in Folder Settings and assign those users with the type of privileges you want for them.
    9. Once step 8 is done you can now login with any user you created.
    10. Users will only be able to see the resources as per the Roles you assigned to them as mentioned in point 8.

Let me know how that works for you. 

Regards,

Sameer

Sameer

• Marked as answer by Sameer Sayani Wednesday, February 21, 2018 10:12 PM
    Wednesday, February 21, 2018 10:12 PM