none
Mapping Azure Storage

Question

• Hi

Can you please suggest a native Windows option to map the storage created in Azure? I tried it using CloudBerry Drive and it is working perfectly well. Storage created in Azure is added as a Network Drive. Please see the screenshot below.

Can I implement the same without using any third-party tools like CloudBerry, Gladinet, NetDrive?

If there is any way to map the drive without any third-party tools, please suggest. Also if you could find any tool to map the Azure Storage to Local PC using any OpenSource/Freeware, it is also requested. Please help me.

Thanks

-- Vishnu www.TechniaLabs.com

Thursday, July 9, 2015 11:09 AM

Answers

• For Azure Blob Service, there is no simple solution for that.

But you can try Azure File Service instead: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/windowsazurestorage/archive/2014/05/12/introducing-microsoft-azure-file-service.aspx

Tuesday, July 14, 2015 3:11 AM

All replies

• no simple powershell or similar solution i'm afraid.

if you know your way around c#, you can write a program, but it's a bit of a headache...

i bought cloudberry, i tried a couple and it was the best one.

Thursday, July 9, 2015 11:37 AM
  • For Azure Blob Service, there is no simple solution for that.

But you can try Azure File Service instead: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/windowsazurestorage/archive/2014/05/12/introducing-microsoft-azure-file-service.aspx

Tuesday, July 14, 2015 3:11 AM
  • Dear Moderators,

since this is a frequent question Microsoft should provide more guidance on this topic. But may be Microsoft expects that from ISVs, 3rd party developers/providers or MVPs.

Since Vishnu did not tell anything why wants to implement mapping without using 3rd party tools, I just expect he wants to save costs. There is not free lunch for cloud storage explorer, commercial tools encapsulate complexity that single persons or small teams usually can not implement on equal quality in given time. You pay for the time you save, to have more time to address your business needs.

From my experience Azure Blobs offer most 3rd party tools support, Azure Files (still in preview) is not adopted by all these tools yet. Blobs actually support SAS that offer fine-grained security concepts. Azure Blob Storage costs half of the price compared to Azure Files. Azure files addresses legacy applications expecting shared file systems, has currently no support for SAS (still in preview).

Useful links

I found there are desktop tools and web-based ones. The tool providers shifting to web-based ones with Cloud Portam leading the competition. Typical desktop cloud storage explorers are different from what Cloudberry Drive offers. You may be aware of that.

I am currently evaluating ClumsyLeaf CloudXplorer, affordable price, advanced feature set inclusing Azure Files and support for SAS on Blob.

Full integration scenarios are offered by Sandrino diMattia (MSFT MVP). This guy is really gifted. Great posts sharing deep understanding for typical customer needs. What comes closest to your original question is to map cloud storage using WEBDAV. This solution is not free, since you have to maintain one or more web roles as WEBDAV gateways. Do not forget to implement transport security using SSL certificates.

Access Azure Files from Cloud Service Roles

http://fabriccontroller.net/blog/posts/using-the-azure-file-service-in-your-cloud-services-web-roles-and-worker-role/

Introducing RedDog.Storage

https://github.com/sandrinodimattia/RedDog

Access Azure Files through WEBDAV

Tuesday, July 14, 2015 9:48 AM
  • Hi Sascha Gottfried

Thanks for the information and links you shared. I'm not really looking to reduce the cost, or for a free lunch. One of our clients who bought a bulk azure storage want to share it among 90+ users as different storage account. They want the storage space to be mapped on to their PC as network drives.

I'll try with the links you shared.

Thanks

-- Vishnu www.TechniaLabs.com

Tuesday, July 14, 2015 11:14 AM