none
Service name and icon not showing in the Volume Mixer. Why? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone!

I'm making a windows service that continuously plays an embedded audio file in the background. I was able to make it successfully but for some reason, the name and the icon of the application is not showing in the Volume Mixer. It's just showing as "Name Not Available" as you can see in the picture below. Using the exact same code and settings but as a normal Windows Application (not a service) the icon and name shows up correctly. This only happens when it's built as a service. Why is that? How can I fix it?

Thanks in advance!

I can't post pictures so here's the link: https://i.imgur.com/gp7UYW5.png

Wednesday, November 27, 2019 5:49 AM

All replies

• Hi Darknicks, 

Thank you for posting here.

According to your question, I find that Windows services don’t run visibly on your desktop (not since Vista). They are confined to the isolated Session 0 and usually  can not show their windows or tray icons to anyone logging into the PC.

This restriction makes it very difficult for a windows service to interact with someone using the computer and consequently Microsoft strongly discourages implementing GUI services.

You can refer to the following article.

Windows Services Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Hope it could be helpful.

Best Regards,

Xingyu Zhao

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 28, 2019 1:47 AM
  • Oh really? Is that the actual reason?

Why it doesn't show the icon and name when I run the service using the current user credentials?

Friday, November 29, 2019 7:17 PM
  • Hi Darknicks, 

Thanks for your feedback.

You can create an application that starts up at user login to communicate with the windows service.

For more details, you can refer to suggestions in the following reference:

Notify Icon for Window Service

Hope them can help you.

Best Regards,

Xingyu Zhao

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 3, 2019 9:21 AM