Item request list using lookups RRS feed

• Question

• Hello:

I have a small business process I'd like to achieve using sharepoint list.  This is currently on WSS 3.0 SP2:

1.  We have Hostname/IP addresses in different subnets (list A, B, C, etc)
    2.  We would like to create a process where a user can request hostname and IP address via another list which will allow them to pick from either list A, B, C, etc. 
    3.  Once the approperiate hostname/IP is picked - the associated list (A, B, C) should remove the item so it won't be available for other users.

Can this be done with a no code solution, i.e. the UI o SPD?

Thanks in advance,

Walid

Walid Gharwal
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 6:40 PM

Answers

• Hello Walid,

You can use SPD to display a combined view of a list.  In essence you create a new linked source (in the Data Sources pane) and add all of the subnet lists.  You can then create a dataview based on that data source which will display all items from all of the lists as though they were in one single list.  Here is an article that walks you through these steps: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint-designer-help/display-data-from-multiple-sources-in-a-single-data-view-HA010099144.aspx

Once you have the list displayed, it is a matter of deciding how you want your users to select an entry and then process it.  Dataviews give you the option to enable add/edit/delete options to allow you to work with the entries; however, linked sources do not allow this.  May I ask, why do you have separate lists to maintain the hostname/IP addresses for each subnet, as opposed to storing them all in a single list and using Views to filter by subnet?

I ask because if all items were in a single list you could take advantage of adding the "edit" option to the dataview which could take your users to a page that confirms the hostname/IP they have selected and then kicks off a workflow to update/remove the entry from the list.  If you keep the lists separate you'll need to do some extra work in SPD to create a way for users to select an item (i.e. add a checkbox), and then identify their selection and subsequently process the record.

Hope that helps,
    Chanda

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 2:16 PM

All replies

• Hello Walid,

You can use SPD to display a combined view of a list.  In essence you create a new linked source (in the Data Sources pane) and add all of the subnet lists.  You can then create a dataview based on that data source which will display all items from all of the lists as though they were in one single list.  Here is an article that walks you through these steps: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint-designer-help/display-data-from-multiple-sources-in-a-single-data-view-HA010099144.aspx

Once you have the list displayed, it is a matter of deciding how you want your users to select an entry and then process it.  Dataviews give you the option to enable add/edit/delete options to allow you to work with the entries; however, linked sources do not allow this.  May I ask, why do you have separate lists to maintain the hostname/IP addresses for each subnet, as opposed to storing them all in a single list and using Views to filter by subnet?

I ask because if all items were in a single list you could take advantage of adding the "edit" option to the dataview which could take your users to a page that confirms the hostname/IP they have selected and then kicks off a workflow to update/remove the entry from the list.  If you keep the lists separate you'll need to do some extra work in SPD to create a way for users to select an item (i.e. add a checkbox), and then identify their selection and subsequently process the record.

Hope that helps,
    Chanda

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 2:16 PM
  • Chanda,

Thank you so much!  You have a great point.  I should NOT need to keep seperate lists for each subnet.  I can dump all IP info in one list and use "views"!  I just didn't think of that. 

So, once I have the list of all IP/Hostnames for all subnets in one list - then I can have users pick from that list via a different list?

Walid Gharwal
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 5:10 PM
  • Hello Walid,

You can copy that list to a new one and then have users pick from the new list, but it may be easier just to add a Yes/No column to your existing IP list that you change to indicate when an address has been selected.

Chanda

Monday, October 10, 2011 1:46 PM