none
Does Delivery Notification in Send port cause perofrmance issue ? RRS feed

• Question

• We have an application which generates a batch of 837 edi files . Recently I enabled the Delivery Notification flag of the send port which is responsible for creating the individual 837 edi file. Now The application is not working as it was before the changes . Sometimes I am getting "timeout error" , sometime an  error saying "The timeout period elapsed prior to obtaining a connection from the pool.  This may have occurred because all pooled connections were in use and max pool size was reached".

I am bit confused What could be the cause of this problem.

I am using Biztalk Server 2009 and biztalk server and database are on the same windows server m/c .

Please help .

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 2:20 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Delivery Notification surely has a performance cost. Check this blog post for more, its an old post but is still relevant.

Regards,
    Bali
    MCTS: BizTalk Server 2010,BizTalk Server 2006 and WCF
    My Blog:dpsbali-biztalkweblog
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Mark As Answer or Vote As Helpful if this helps.

Thursday, April 12, 2012 4:53 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Delivery Notification surely has a performance cost. Check this blog post for more, its an old post but is still relevant.

Regards,
    Bali
    MCTS: BizTalk Server 2010,BizTalk Server 2006 and WCF
    My Blog:dpsbali-biztalkweblog
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Mark As Answer or Vote As Helpful if this helps.

Thursday, April 12, 2012 4:53 AM
  • Hi 

As suggested by Bali, use of "Delivery Notification" impacts the performance of application. Check this MSDN article for more details about it. It says

"Be aware of the performance implications of using delivery notification. Delivery notification incurs overhead that negatively impacts the overall throughput of a solution so only use it when absolutely necessary. BizTalk creates an internal subscription for each delivery notification and uses an internal correlation set to return a message to the corresponding orchestration instance. More subscriptions entail more work for the master MessageBox, which ultimately reduces the maximum sustainable throughput of the system."

I hope this helps!

HTH,
    Naushad Alam

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer
    alamnaushad.wordpress.com
    My new TechNet Wiki "BizTalk Server: Performance Tuning & Optimization"

Thursday, April 19, 2012 8:46 PM