win 8 64 bit install preparing devices, 86%, and shuts down

Question

• Just downloaded the 64 bit developer preview, 3.6 gb,  iso. started the install, and it got to preparing devices, 86%, and shut down. Error said it had encountered an error and could not proceed. Tried 3 times, same thing. Installing on an MSI 760GM E51 mobo, AMD quad core 640 processor, 16 gig DDR3, 600 watt power supply, new 500 gig HD, Nvidia 8400 video card.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 3:35 PM

All replies

• Check the SHA1 hash and compare it. Maybe the ISO is damaged.

And what does the error screen show in detail? Post a picture here, please.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 3:37 PM
  • SHA1 hash is correct. I have already filed the disk under garbage, and am now trying the 32 bit. I had problems with win7, 64 bit, on this machine also. I had a 2 gig USB drive plugged in, which I use for backup for Quicken, and a Netgear, USB,  wireless dongle. I unplugged both of these, and it made it to 90%. I suspect the video card. We'll see how the 32 bit goes. Not a big deal, as I use Linux as my main OS, I keep win on here for games for the grand kids. Just curious to see how 8 has changed. From the screen shots it looks like the PCLinuxOS 2011  interface, which came out the first part of 2011.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 2:14 PM
  • Downloaded the 32 bit version, burned the iso, wiped my HD, and started the install. Got to 86% preparing devices, quit again. Message, "Windows has encountered an unrecoverable error and cannot proceed", and went to a restart screen. Filed disk under garbage, alongside 64 bit version, and will give up.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 3:27 PM
  • On my AMD Phenom II system it works. Can you look at the setup logs on the HDD to see more details?
    "A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Friday, September 16, 2011 1:20 PM